Cork Size?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
How do i know what size corks to use for bottling a wine? I'm just reusing an assortment of wine bottles i'v scrounged up over the last few months, so not many will be the same bottle.

Is there a size that will fit most bottles?

The size isn't dependent on the bottle, but on the corker you're using. If you're using a hand corker, #8s are easier to insert. I use a floor corker and use #9s. Those fit even in the 375ml small bottles, with the floor corker.

I also use #9's, but I use a double lever hand corker. I dream of getting a nice floor corker.

Number 9's are the standard for the 750 ml bottles, as well as the 1 L and 1.5 L Magnum sizes.

Number 8 size corks are for the smaller 375 ml bottles.

Be careful when using the two metal finger style cork removers, rather than screw type pullers, on a #8 cork in a standard size bottle.

The cork can push IN...dousing you, and others nearby, with wine...almost always RED, too!

I've even found some commercially bottled wines, especially Gallo, using the smaller sized corks in standard bottles.

Pogo

Back