irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer1

Reaction score
im setting up to brew a cream ale and in setting out all my ingredients i discovered im out of Irish moss and the local brew store doesn't open untill 10:00 is there a substitute ?

If you have some woods nearby, look for some regular moss on the north side of a tree. Just wash it real well before using.

JOKING!:D

The only kettle finings I know of are irish moss and Whirlfloc (which is mostly Irish moss). The beer won't be bad without it. I never use any finings on my lagers and they come out very clear. If you have a good hot/cold break (vigorous boil and fast chill), that should help. Then crash-cool the fermented beer if you can before bottling/kegging. (You could also use gelatin or isinglass in the fermenter.)

I forget about using it about 50% of the time, even if it' sitting right next to the hops, just don't sweat it. If you long primary, it won't matter anyway.

Back