Recipes for NZ Hallertauer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
My club did a freash hop order and there was no "Noble Hops" on the list so I ordered a pound of New Zealand Hallertauer (along with a bunch of North American hops), thinking it was just Hallertauer grown in New Zealand. Wrong.

I guess I should do my research before I pulled out my credit card. :eek: I have a habit of doing that.

Anywho research says, that they are a nice dual purpose hop with around 8 or 9 %AA (twice that of a classic Hallertauer) and are good for lagers. But that's all it really says. So I guess I could make a nice Steinlager clone but I kinda have my schedule mapped out with a bunch of German lagers in the future.

Should I:

Use the NZ's just to bitter while cutting the amount in half and finish with Hallertauer Mittelfrüh pellets?

Bitter and finish with the NZ's? Cut the amount in half?

Save them for some non-Teutonic beer? Anyone have any good NZ Hallertauer recipes?

Thanks

Rudeboy

I dunno. I think the flavor and aroma is very similar. Of course, you have to scale it back a little bit because of the higher AA%, but I dont think it is a big deal. You can use it for anything you would use normal Hallertauer.

Thanks denimglen. NZ hops sez:

<<Finds application where a higher oil concentration and proportion of Linalool are required to impact on how the hop character integrates into the final product. Ideally suited to traditional German lager styles and finding wider application to a new generation through the international craft market’s insatiable thirst for Pale Ale.>>

So what do you drink in NZ?

I was there in 1990 and I remember the beer came in 660 ml bottles delivered in wooden crates. (or at least it was where I was staying). I can't remember what it was other than Tui.

Rudeboy

What do I drink in NZ? 90% of what I consume is homebrew. There are a handful of very good micros and brewpubs around but they're usually in out-of-the-way places or their beers are expensive and hard to come by because of their not being much market for their product.

What do most NZ'ers drink? Like your US BMC drinkers they just drink 'beer'. I'd say 50% of the macro market is in green bottle lagers, imported or local, things like heineken, corona, steinlager 'pure' (steinlagers 'upmarket' beer). The other 50% are 'draught beers/ales', these are basically sweet amber lagers. Mega-quaff type crap that goes down easy when served at just above freezing, almost no bitterness (despite the names sometimes including the word 'bitter'), excessive amounts of caramel malts, minute amounts of hops and very clean fermentations.

Haha yup, swappa-crates are what you're referring to, a dozen 750mL bottles in a wooden crate that you pay a deposit for the bottles and crate and get back on return of empties. A lot of bottle-shops will lend/sell you a swappa of empties if you just pay the deposit, awesome for homebrew at 25 - 50c a bottles that are stamped reusable.

The funny thing about Tui is that it's labeled as 'East Indian Pale Ale', but is really another sweet amber lager with absolutely no hop flavour/aroma and probably about 15 IBU.

That's NZ beer 101 in a nutshell :)

Back