Airlock overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennybeer

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks in advance for any/all responses.

My S shaped airlock has overflowed with foam after approximately 36-48 hours of percolating. why did this happen and what to do to recover this problem ?

I happened becasue you had a good vigorous ferment, and or maybe you're using a bucket or carbot that's not quite large enough. (6.5 gallons is good for primary for a 5 to 5.5 gallon batch.)

Rig up a blowoff hose if you can until it settles down in a couple days.

And relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

^^^^^^^^=True

They are he!! to clean. Let the airlock soak in bleach water overnight and tackle it with pipecleaners or just buy a new one for $2.

I almost had the same problem with my 6 gallon carboy last night. I removed my airlock and bung, and put a sanitized cup over the top of the carboy. I then wet down my siphon tube and inserted it into the bung. I dried the bung and the opening of the carboy, and re-inserted the bung. The other end of the hose went into a small bucket filled with sanitized water. I then partially closed the lid on the siphon, just enough to keep it from falling out. Worked great!

It jsut happened to me last night also. I brewed my first wheat. It took a while to get started, then BLAM. It went from no krausen to overflowing in about 4 hours. I sanitized some aluminum foil, and put it over the top while I cleaned and sanitized the airlock, then replaced it. It seems to of calmed down now.

beerlover84 said:
I've always wondered: why aluminum foil specially and not just saran wrap or something?

Its jsut easy to work with and will hold its shape around the top well.

Hi, I just had the same issue. Having a pretty vigorous ferment in there and it went straight into my airlock. It seems to have settled down for now, do I need to clean this out right away, or can I do it when I switch fermentors? The beer shouldn't be affected by this right?

Hi, I just had the same issue. Having a pretty vigorous ferment in there and it went straight into my airlock. It seems to have settled down for now, do I need to clean this out right away, or can I do it when I switch fermentors? The beer shouldn't be affected by this right?

I would clean it out just to be safe, and no, your beer should be fine :).

This happened to me a few months ago with a trippel. Now I know to use a blow-off tube! I was worried about contamination but it turned out fine, it just made a huge freaking mess that looked like someone puked green crap all over my kitchen floor

Will getting a 6-6.5 gallon carboy keep the airlocks clean for a 5 gal brew most of the time? Seems like a few extra bucks for a bigger carboy would be more efficient than having to switch from a blow-off to a airlock. Anybody know if using a bigger carboy is the easiest solution to overflow?

What size vessel are you using now? I would at least have a 6 gallon for fermentation. You need that space for the krausen to form. A bigger carboy won't necessarily eliminate the need for a blow off, though. Different yeast strains and higher gravity beers usually tend to overflow even a 6.5g carboy.

I had the same issue on mine, except I was using a 'mr beer' tank to ferment, so instead of overflowing the air lock, it blew up like a balloon, then when I tried to loosen the lid a bit to lose some pressure, it blew the top right off.

I wasn't too sure what to do (just found this thread) so I drilled the lid to take an air lock & drained out some of the beer to give it the space at the top of the tank that it needed. Hopefully nothing got contaminated in the 'explosion' - I guess I needed to use a smaller batch size or lager tank

I've been fine before in my 6 gallon primary carboy with beer around 5% ABV but this time I'm doing an Imperial Stout which will end up around 8% ABV. It looks like I'm going to have to switch to a blow off before it comes busting through the airlock but I'm not sure I have the tubing to set it up!! Wish me luck.

uh oh...this just woke me up with the spitting & squeeling sounds coming from the airlock...

215345_10150228510237107_745992106_8974763_7855716_n.jpg

edit to add: Thar she blows! :drunk: I've got the carboy sitting in a tub, and i'm keeping some sterilized tin foil over the top for now...but don't have the tubing to make a blowoff tube right now, and probably won't be able to get to the brewing supply store until after work. dammit.

Back