think this recipe will be good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this recipe turn out?

• Wonderful

• Good

• Decent

• What were you thinking?!?

Results are only viewable after voting.

pcolson

Reaction score
this is a recipe im planning on brewing tomorrow i was wondering how you think this will turn out...

6 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
6 lbs. Honey
5 lbs. Corn Sugar
1 lbs. Oats Flaked
2.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
1 Whirlfloc tablet 15 min
Yeast : WYeast 1338 European Ale 2 packages both have a 1L starter...

this is a recipe im planning on brewing tomorrow i was wondering how you think this will turn out...

6 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
6 lbs. Honey
4 lbs. Corn Sugar
1 lbs. Oats Flaked
2.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
1 Whirlfloc tablet 15 min
Yeast : WYeast 1338 European Ale 2 packages both have a 1L starter...

Well, since more than 1/2 your fermentables come from sugar (honey is a sugar), I am not feeling very positive about the results. I also don't think steeping a pound of oats will give you good results.

I'm sorry to be negative- maybe someone else can be more positive, though.

I got to go with what Yooperbrew has to say...perplexed by the high amount of honey and sugar. Not sure what your shooting for, but won't this turn out to be more of a mead-type brew? It will certainly be dry/sweet. Good luck.

I got the recipe from beertools its int he specialty beer section shrug... i was just gonna try it and find out :) and what do you think i should do hold long in primary? secondary?... also anything i can add to make the sweetness not so sweet?

I got the recipe from beertools its int he specialty beer section shrug... i was just gonna try it and find out :) and what do you think i should do hold long in primary? secondary?... also anything i can add to make the sweetness not so sweet?

Well, it might ferment out ok. It'll be very cider/wine like because of the honey and sugar. Maybe a braggot? I don't think it'd be something I'd be interested in, but there may be people who'd try it.

If you drop the corn sugar it might be interesting - sort of a mead ale with citrus from the cascades.

Edit: Braggot, thanks YopperBrew I knew it had an actual name. :)

Are you looking for an honest answer? It looks like rocket fuel. You don't give a batch size but I have to assume with all that poundage it's a 10 gallon brew. If it's a 5 gallon recipe, no comment. My observations: 1) Way, way too much sugary adjuncts. All that dextrose and honey is going to convert to CO2 and alcohol and not much else. 2) There is no base grain to convert the oats. All you are going to get from them is sludge and haze. What are you trying to make here? Give the members some info on what you are trying to accomplish and I'm sure there will be some good suggestions. :mug:

I guess that depends on how much the yeast eat. Fermentation will be key, keep it at 65-68 and it should be good. 2 starters should be good, though, I would just use one pack with a 2L starter and decant.

I voted "decent" because somehow my eyes skipped over the FIVE POUNDS(?!?!?!?!?!) of corn sugar and thought it was ONE pound of honey. I hereby change my vote to "What were you thinking?"

Latest posts

Back