First All Grain this Saturday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddemaagd

Reaction score
So i'm diving into the world of AG after 4 or 5 extract batches.

Just picked up a mash tun and keggle a few days ago. Went to the LHBS today, found a recipe, bought the ingredients, and ground the grain.

I'm so exctied to make the jump. It feels more like "true" beer brewing. We're brewing a clone of a local breweries Pale Ale.

Any last advice??????

My first all grain brewing day went sucky and I was pissed. I did not give up and kept doing it over and over again and now I have won several medals for my beer. So dont get mad if all things dont work out, just keep trying it is well worth it, Good luck.

Do all your math beforehand.

Have some boiling water and some ice ready at dough-in just in case you miss your temps.

After a few batches it gets a lot easier.

Do all your math beforehand.

Have some boiling water and some ice ready at dough-in just in case you miss your temps.

After a few batches it gets a lot easier.

+1, Get some brewing software and make your life a lot easier. If not, write down all your steps, it's very easy to leave something out.

Have all your steps on a check list. Check
each thing off at each timed interval. wherever you're
cutting corners on equipment; think ahead for what
problems, or lag times it may put on the clockwork(mash,boil,
chill,pitch). Think it through, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

I just did my first AG and I thought keeping track of water was important. Knowing how much liquid you collected after mashing will help determine your sparge volume(s).

Yeah, make sure to have some cold beer on hand. It's a long, hot, and humid process, but you'll have a lot of fun and feel great afterwards. (was I talking about brewing or...)

First of all, welcome to AG brewing and best of luck.
Second- Plan, plan, plan and don't get upset if something is not going to plan. Your learning.
Get a good grip on you volume measurements, have two thermometers, do not break your hydrometer, have enough propane for an extended burn. "Don't PANIC", have a homebrew and just do it.
OK, enough of clichés, you sound prepared so enjoy it.

Just relax, you'll do fine. If in doubt, RDWHAHB

But the water volumes and temps are the biggest things, as long as you pay careful attention, you'll do just fine.

Oh, and cheers and congrats, you are a big boy now :)

Get started early, before it gets too hot. Make good notes for future reference. Hold off on the beer until you get the wort into the fermenter. Alcohol, slippery wet glass, boiling hot liquid, and propane gas can make for a dangerous combination. Welcome to the club!

Alcohol, slippery wet glass, boiling hot liquid, and propane gas can make for a dangerous combination. Welcome to the club!

Man, If I did not know better, "That sounded like my Mom". But yea, lot's of beer while your learning something... Either take really good notes or don't care about it. If I'm doing AG I start when I wake up and "TRY" to be finished by noon, then I bust out the homebrew as I clean up. Which thanks to the homebrew takes longer than AG brewing.

Back