Pale ale minus the toungue bite???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
Ok, I really like pale ales, but SWMBO doesn't like the bite on the toungue she gets from them (Sierra Nevada, etc...). I don't notice a "bite on my toungue" from pale ale's, so not entirely sure what she's referring too...

Coopers Sparkling Ale, which I also like, apparently doesn't have said bite. Trying to figure out what the difference is, so I can decide how to make a pale ale that we will both drink.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing it has to do with the variety of hops used. Assuming that is the case, which varieties of hops should I avoid to not get the "dreaded bite" :cross:

TIA!!

She is most likely referring to bitterness. My wife is the same way. She loves the smell and taste of hops but anything over 30 IBUs is way to bitter for her.

That could be it too, I just looked, didn't realize there was a 10 IBU gap between the two styles... Looks like Coopers is around 25ish and Sierra Nevada is around 35ish. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Here's a recipe I came up with, how does it sound for a less hoppy pale ale?

Name: Indiana Pearle Ale
Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 24.8 IBU
Est Color: 9 SRM

6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.7 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.75 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.13 oz Pearle [8.00%] (30 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.13 oz Pearle [8.00%] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #-) Yeast-Ale

30min grain steep, then 60min boil

This would be my first boil, so I was going for something fairly simple (and reasonably priced...). Anything look severly out of whack with this?

Could it be from the carbonation? Have her drink some soda water and see if that's the same bite she is talking about. She might just be a hop head in disguise!

1 lb cara-pils and 1 lb crystal is going to give you a lot of unfermentables. I'd cut them both back to 1/2 lb, and probably go for crystal 40 instead of 20 to keep the color about the same.
For hops, you could try EKG, Fuggles or Willamette. They all have a much softer profile than most American hops. I've never tried Pearle, so I don't know what they taste like.

-a.

I'm kinda limited on what hops I can get at my LHBS (Quality Wine and Ale). Their prices are pretty comparable to online for most ingredients, and even after tax I can't beat there prices when you add shipping from an online shop (plus I usually get stuff cheaper in store than on their website...).

Haven't used any hops myself, so I figure if I do a few trial brews with a different type of hop each time, I can get a feel for the different hop influences.

I'll run the modifications on the grains through beersmith and update the recipe. Does the hop schedule look ok?

Thanks!

The hop schedule looks fine. It's the volumes that look wrong to me, but I'm a hop head while you and your SWMBO are probably normal balanced people. :)
FWIW, I can't drink beers with Cascade hops (like SNPA) without getting severe indegestion, while I have no problem with the hops I mentioned earlier.

-a.

I would personally be perfectly happy to double (at least) the amount of hops in that. If the SWMBO is going to drink it though, I need to keep it under ~30IBU.

As long as everything looks good, I'll probably make up a batch of that for my next brew and see how it comes out. :mug:

Ok, not quite understanding what you mean. I understand the addition after flameout part (I'm assuming that would replace the 5min addition), but the rest of it I'm still scratching my head at :confused:

byersj said:
Ok, not quite understanding what you mean. I understand the addition after flameout part (I'm assuming that would replace the 5min addition), but the rest of it I'm still scratching my head at :confused:

The longer you boil(up to 60+/- minutes) will add more bitterness, so if you add at 40-5-0 you will get more flavor and less bitter

Ahh, that's why I just went for a lower amount of hops. Shooting for the 25IBU range. I think I'm going to give what I've come up with a try and see how it comes out. I'm sure I'll drink it. If the SWMBO won't, well, that's just to bad... :mug:

byersj said:
Ahh, that's why I just went for a lower amount of hops. Shooting for the 25IBU range. I think I'm going to give what I've come up with a try and see how it comes out. I'm sure I'll drink it. If the SWMBO won't, well, that's just to bad... :mug:

Use less hops later in the boil and you'll get more flavor and less bittering

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=56950

I discussed this earlier :D

Schedule a minimum amount of hops for 60 minutes to achieve your bitterness level.

All other hops...toss in with less than 15 minutes.

Just enough bittering hops and lots of flavor/aroma hops.

All these 50, 45, 35, 30, 20 minute additions are certainly long enough to extract more bitterness out of the hops than you may want.

BierMuncher said:
Schedule a minimum amount of hops for 60 minutes to achieve your bitterness level.

All other hops...toss in with less than 15 minutes.

Just enough bittering hops and lots of flavor/aroma hops.

All these 50, 45, 35, 30, 20 minute additions are certainly long enough to extract more bitterness out of the hops than you may want.

You and I think alike
"The 2 of you like the taste of the hops and you like the bitterness, I believe.
If that is correct, change the hop additions to
40-30min
10-5 min
0 min (see how I do it) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55221

this will give you all the flavor without the bite"

How's this look?

Name: Iniana Pearle Ale
Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0

6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.7 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
1.50 oz Pearle [8.00%] (20 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
0.25 oz Pearle [8.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.25 oz Pearle [8.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #-) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 27.2 IBU
Est Color: 9.0 SRM

Ok, one more question. If I'm only adding the first hop addition for 20min, is there any particular reason to boil for 60min? Couldn't I just do a 20min boil? What if any effects would this have?

TIA!!

byersj said:
Ok, one more question. If I'm only adding the first hop addition for 20min, is there any particular reason to boil for 60min? Couldn't I just do a 20min boil? What if any effects would this have?

TIA!!

You would not hit your OG without some boil-off, and possibly some color change due to the shortened boil

byersj said:

TIA!!

You are also getting rid of DMS with a normal vigerous boil, coagulating protiens, etc. Do the 60 minute boil with AG.:)

Yeah, it'd be an extract. I'm no where near financially able to go all grain any time soon. Also, beersmith adjusts the starting boil volume depending on the boil time. So hitting OG and proper volume post boil shouldn't be a problem.

That works out nice then, shorter boil and not as much bit but still with good hop flavor. Works for me!!

Thanks all, will report back when I get a chance to make this!! :mug:

Back