Dry hopping Berliner Weisse.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgja2

Reaction score
Brewed a bw about two weeks ago. Kettle soured for 48 hours with Good Belly probiotic (l. planterium). Short boil then big starter of Wyeast American Ale II. Tested gravity (1.008) and tasted the other night and everything is coming along nicely. Now i want to dry hop it but can not decide what to use. My thoughts were

Amarillo
Nelson Sauvin
Citra
Cascade
Or a combo?

Also i do not have much experience dry hopping such dry beers. How much would be a good amount?

Thanks for the insight!!:mug:

I've never dry hopped a BW, though Creature Comforts in GA used Galaxy to dry hop one a while back, and my understanding is that it was phenomenal.

I have dry hopped a sour saison with Citra, however. I used 4 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. It came out great, though I think that much would be too aggressive for a Berliner.

I've never dry hopped a BW, though Creature Comforts in GA used Galaxy to dry hop one a while back, and my understanding is that it was phenomenal.

I have dry hopped a sour saison with Citra, however. I used 4 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. It came out great, though I think that much would be too aggressive for a Berliner.

This is what i was thinking. I am leaning towards 2 or three ounces.

Any of those would be a great choice. I've used citra, NS, and Galaxy and they've all been really nice. My impression is that dry hops are suppressed in a sour beer, so err on the high side of dry hopping rates.

Now I want a dry hopped BW.

Hard to go wrong with citrusy and sour. Nelson can be domineering though, I'd probably cut it with one of the others if you want to go that route. 2:1 Citra to Amarillo is a personal favorite combo.

Hard to go wrong with citrusy and sour. Nelson can be domineering though, I'd probably cut it with one of the others if you want to go that route. 2:1 Citra to Amarillo is a personal favorite combo.

I must be reading too many of your articles. I just came up with this for this weekends brew.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Experimental IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 7.13%
IBU (tinseth): 62.6
SRM (morey): 4.67

FERMENTABLES:
11.4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (78.6%)
1.5 lb - German - Vienna (10.3%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (6.9%)
0.6 lb - German - Acidulated Malt (4.1%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: First Wort, IBU: 16.41
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 14.46
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.49
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.81
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.43
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 150 °F
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 150 °F
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 149 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272

Thoughts on water? Planning on going with
Calcium: 40 mg/l
Magnesium: 15 mg/l
Sodium: 8.5 mg/l
Chloride: 30-40 mg/l
Sulfate: 60-70 mg/l

Damn, i just derailed my own thread.

I like the dry hopping idea on a BW. I have 5 gallons that I will be packaging shortly.

I might fruit half and then dry hop the other half. Thinking I am going to try 2:1 Galaxy / NS since I have a bunch in the freezer.

+1. I love the combination of Citra and Galaxy in a berliner weisse. The grapefruit notes meld beautifully with the tart base. Divide up the batch and experiment!

OP can you tell me about your process for souring with goodbelly? Did you use 1 bottle for 5 galllons? temps ? and was 48hrs sour enough? I got a bottle of the mango GB and plan on kettle souring with it soon. Thx!

OP can you tell me about your process for souring with goodbelly? Did you use 1 bottle for 5 galllons? temps ? and was 48hrs sour enough? I got a bottle of the mango GB and plan on kettle souring with it soon. Thx!

I pitched half a carton (16oz) into 5.5 gallons of wort. purged head space in my kettle with co2 and sealed it up with saran wrap and tape. Held at 90f for 48 hours. It was plenty sour at 48 hrs.

Things I would do different now:

1. Pre sour the wort a little with lactic acid (i think 4.5 ph is recommended). On my second attempt kettle sour some sacc yeast took hold and fermented it down quite a bit.:mad:
2. I think i will be pitching the whole carton this time. This negates the need for a measuring vessel and possible yeast getting in there.

Check out the Facebook Group "milk the funk" they are very helpful.

Thx for the reply, I have the small plus shots, says 20 billion cells per container, probably pitch two of those and try to keep it warm for a couple days. cheers!

Thx for the reply, I have the small plus shots, says 20 billion cells per container, probably pitch two of those and try to keep it warm for a couple days. cheers!

That should work perfect.

I lightly dry hopped my latest gose batch with 1 oz of Azacca for a week before kegging. The beer has very nice pineapple, lemon, and stone fruit aromas, and the hops seemed to add a subtle bitterness that rounds out the sour flavors (final pH was 3.3). I'd definitely try more Azacca next time and maybe combine it with Citra.

Back