Food & Booze, favorite pairings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatcleaver

Reaction score
After many years of being a food & beverage enthusiast I've found some pairings to be so good that I can hardly have one without the other.
I figured I would list my favs & invite others to share theirs...

Pilsner Urquell & fried catfish
Devastator Dopplebock & Cabot's seriously sharp cheddar
Founder's Breakfast Stout & banana nut bread
Gabbiano Chianti & pizza, spaghetti or (believe it or not) nacho cheese Doritos
Bella Sera Pinot Grigio & shrimp scampi

So, what makes your taste buds go "Wow!"?

Hefeweizen and bratwurst! And I don't mean cook the brats in the Hefeweizen, I mean serve a grilled (non-beer-boiled) brat with a glass of Hefeweizen. Match made in heaven.

ETA: a local chef (James Beard winner) paired Goose Island Sofie with shellfish chorizo, grilled octopus and grilled leeks. Greatest pairing I've ever had.

Hefeweizen and bratwurst! And I don't mean cook the brats in the Hefeweizen, I mean serve a grilled (non-beer-boiled) brat with a glass of Hefeweizen.
Awww yeah! Brats & pretty much any German beer is good.
My favorite is Altbier & bratwurst

Hmm. I have a keg of altbier. Should probably fire up the grill before it's gone.

I should b more specific...
Brat dogs on fresh baked buns with spicy brown mustard, chopped onions & Altbier
I just ate & now I'm hungry again!

We did breakfast for dinner one night (bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc.) and I just happened to have some Sierra Nevada coffee stout on hand. Perfect match.

Gorgonzola and carmelized onion stuffed burgers with mustard and ketchup and a nice pale ale. My second favorite is spicy sushi with an ipa...so good! :rockin:

Oaked Imperial Stout and pumpkin pie.

I hated Southern Tier Creme Brulee and Pumking until chefs put them together with desserts. The CB was with a flourless white cake and the Pumking was with ... something.

Ommegang Witte with Summer Crab Soup. Was lucky enough to go to a event where i lived called Hop Chef and it was all local eateries that had to pair beers with Ommegang. That pairing was the best

Elk Chili and Brown Ale.
Bread Pudding with a Trappist Quad.
Ipa and extra extra extra sharp cheddar.
Stout/Robust Porter with a well crusted steak.
Saison/Farmhouse with the typical Thanksgiving spread.
A 2nd beer to go with the 1st.
Dipa and an American Blue cheese (like Maytag).
The company of a fine woman? Lol.

My PM Irish red went amazingly well with the turkey this year. Had an almost wine-like quality with a bite of some turkey & a sip of it at the same time.

Beer and Food. Generally.

I do like dogs/brats and a cold light style beer in the spring and summer. Stews and soups and an IPA or Stout when it's cold.

Or I like to pair a stout with another stout when I come in from shoveling snow.

I am not generally a fan of pine-y hops, but have been working through some beers with a pretty big hopstand that was all Chinook. Last night, I had some lasagna with one of the aforementioned beers, and it actually went really well together with the "Italian" herbs.

-Bacon burger with a fried chile pepper on it and a good piny IPA
-St Germain's elderflower liqueur on the rocks and dark chocolate ice cream
-Redhook ESB or a good dunkel and bratwurst with grilled onions
-Pear mascato and smoked gouda cheese

Back