What would you call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjdetwiler

Reaction score
What would you call this? This recipe originated from what was available at the time.

Ingredients:
6lb Bries Pilsen Malt 2 row
3lb Bries Dried Malt Extract Pilsen Light
2lb 7oz Corn Sugar
1.5 oz Saaz 4.4%
1 oz Saaz 3.4%
.5 oz Pearle 7.7%
.125 oz Lorann Gormet Raspberry Extract
1Tsp Irish Moss
Muntons ale yeast

I Mashed the 2 row at 158 deg in 7.5qt of water. Sparged with about 4qt of water at 170 deg. Added extract and corn sugar and boiled for 60 min. The 1.5 oz of Saaz boiled for 60 min, the 1 oz Saaz for 40 min, and the .5 oz Pearle at 20 min. I added the Irish Moss in the last 15 min.

I added the Raspberry Extract after it cooled. The Og was 1.068 at 74 deg. I pitched the Muntons at this time. There was aggressive fermentation by the next morning. This calmed down after 5 days. At 7 days I racked to the secondary and recorded a SG of 1.016 at 68 deg. In the carboy it looks more amber than pale. I am 4 days into the secondary right now.

Any comments or criticism is welcome. This has been my second attempt at using this much grain and the OG was closer to what i expected

bjdetwiler said:
What would you call this? This recipe originated from what was available at the time.

Ingredients:
6lb Bries Pilsen Malt 2 row
3lb Bries Dried Malt Extract Pilsen Light
2lb 7oz Corn Sugar
1.5 oz Saaz 4.4%
1 oz Saaz 3.4%
.5 oz Pearle 7.7%
.125 oz Lorann Gormet Raspberry Extract
1Tsp Irish Moss
Muntons ale yeast

I Mashed the 2 row at 158 deg in 7.5qt of water. Sparged with about 4qt of water at 170 deg. Added extract and corn sugar and boiled for 60 min. The 1.5 oz of Saaz boiled for 60 min, the 1 oz Saaz for 40 min, and the .5 oz Pearle at 20 min. I added the Irish Moss in the last 15 min.

I added the Raspberry Extract after it cooled. The Og was 1.068 at 74 deg. I pitched the Muntons at this time. There was aggressive fermentation by the next morning. This calmed down after 5 days. At 7 days I racked to the secondary and recorded a SG of 1.016 at 68 deg. In the carboy it looks more amber than pale. I am 4 days into the secondary right now.

Any comments or criticism is welcome. This has been my second attempt at using this much grain and the OG was closer to what i expected

An "American Light Rasberry spiced Ale".
:mug:

Thanks! Any suggestions that might make this better. I was a little nervous about the corn sugar.

DeathBrewer said:
skip the corn sugar and the rasberry next time, IMNSHO

I agree. You had a nice Pils working there. That's what I would call it without the corn sugar and rasberry.

With the corn sugar and raspberry, there's only one name left for it: Liquid Panty Remover. :fro:

TL

lol. I am gld I checked back on this post. I will try agin with your suggestions. If you have anymore let me know. I still need to work on measuring my efficiency. I threw in the corn sugar b/c my last high grain bill ended up with a lower OG than expected......so at least i know my effiiency was higher this time.

Thanks again!

Back