I Forgot The Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
I'm a relative newcomer to brewing beer, making a total of 18 batches since September of 2006. This past weekend, I brewed a batch of English Nut Brown Ale which, by the way, was a repeat of a batch I made this past spring.

In any event, I forgot to add a tsp. of Irish Moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil, and am curious as to what effect that will have on my finished product. The first time I made this recipe, the beer had a very nice head and was crystal clear. Is that NOT going to be the case this time? This was the first time I forgot to add it so I'm curious what effect it will have.

Here is my recipe / procedure cut and pasted from BeerSmith:

Nut Brown Ale
Northern English Brown Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/25/2007
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: GrantLee63
Boil Size: 7.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1.50 lb Crystal Dark - 77L (Crisp) (75.0 SRM) Grain 17.14 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 tbsp pH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity:
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.56 % Actual Alcohol by Vol:
Bitterness: 21.6 IBU Calories: 218 cal/pint
Est Color: 18.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 8.75 lb
Sparge Water: 6.54 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.94 qt of water at 169.0 F 152.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Pressure/Weight: 30.8 PSI Carbonation Used:
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 68.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 38.0 F

Notes

Same as the last Nut Brown Ale but with a different yeast and Williamette for the 60 minute addition instead of Fuggles.
Almost had a stuck sparge ! .... I'm not sure what happened, but I was able to get it going with the help of a coat hanger.

11/28/2007 - Realized I forgot to add Irish Moss!

Thanks in advance .....

- GL63

I forgot about posting this message a couple months ago. Looks like I had a few. :cross:

You can always filter it after you pour it out of the glass. I filter my beers with my liver. Before I flush it it looks just like Coors Light. It will still taste the same, but you knew that.

No need to worry at all. If you are patient enough you can just leave it in secondary for a couple of more weeks to clear. Gelatin is always an option as well.

Thanks Everyone! I didn't think it was a big deal, but wanted to check nonetheless ...

- GL63

i dont even think the irish moss has anything to do with the finished product, iirc it just helps with the cold break

YooperBrew said:
I forget the IM about half the time. I don't really notice too much of a difference, given enough time!

Same thing happens to me. I use Whirfloc, but same dif. About the time I am done cleaning up I will see my little packet of Whirfloc tabs sitting on the counter and I have one of those 'oh yeah' moments.

Not a big deal at all. I admit that it does help, but with a long enough secondary and careful racking, your beer will still be clear.

You beer will not be the same without it. IT will not produce a head and it will .... wait wrong thread. Sorry.

Isinglas or Polyclar works well in secondary but its a waste of money.

Time is your best option. SBRDWHAHB :( :eek: :D

- WW

Back