Bratwurst Pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orthobrewsky

Reaction score
First, grill more bratwurst than you can eat in the next couple of days. With what is left over, make a pie or two.

Ingredients:
Pie crust
8 oz Monterey Jack
4 oz Pepper Jack
1 medium onion
1 egg
2.5-3 bratwursts

Directions:
Grate cheese into a mixing bowl. Personally, I prefer a higher proportion of pepper jack.
Slice the onion.
Lightly beat the egg.
Chop the brats into nice, bite sized slices.
Mix it all together in a bowl and pour it into the pie crust.
Bake at about 375 for around 45 minutes.

Eat with beer. Repeat.

Illustrated below. Beer, center: pie destined for my stomach, lower left; hand that made it, right; goofy-looking boy, left.
SNC01079.jpg

Hey, Orthobrewsky, thanks for the recipe for Bratwurst Pie! I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that even God, in His infinite wisdom, eats brats! When I've made more than I can eat, I will have to make the pie. Sounds simply yummy...with a few homebrews, of course.

Thanks again.

glenn514:mug:

First of all, quiche is friggen delicious...

Secondly, I am forever in your debt for sharing such an incredible dish. :mug:

Agreed; and you're welcome.

It's always reminded me more of pizza than quiche. A bit like one of those really thick, cheesy Greek pizzas with lots of onions and sausage.

If you make it, you won't regret it. Everybody loves it.

The SWMBO used to make 2 or 3 and deliver them on Fridays to me and my drinking buddies at a local bar which didn't serve their own food. I guess she just liked being adored.

Never understood the whole "real men don't eat quiche" B.S. What is it? Eggs... cheese... onions... meat... some other random veg. maybe, all baked into a pie... fug me! What could BE more manly other than meat off the bone?!

Oh and the "grill more bratwurst than you can eat in the next couple of days" directive the O.P. made; that is nigh on impossible... :D

Thanks for sharing the recipe. That sounds great! And for the record quiche is awesome!

Never understood the whole "real men don't eat quiche" B.S. What is it? Eggs... cheese... onions... meat... some other random veg. maybe, all baked into a pie... fug me! What could BE more manly other than meat off the bone?!

Oh and the "grill more bratwurst than you can eat in the next couple of days" directive the O.P. made; that is nigh on impossible... :D

Anything is possible if your grill is large enough.:ban:

Tried your bratwurst pie last evening. Was great!! It went well with a Nut Brown Ale that I've been enjoying for a few days now. Unfortunately, my wife had the pie with a Merlot, heresy.

Thanks for posting a great recipe.

I've been thinking of using my quiche mix;1 regular size bowl of cool whip & 9 eggs beaten together. This & the stuffins will make two. More sausage,more cheese of course. The filling mix is light & not reall heavy,but full of flavor.

First, grill more bratwurst than you can eat in the next couple of days.

UNPOSSIBLE ;) - Thank you for sharing your recipe, I will be attempting this and variations in the near future!

First of all, quiche is friggen delicious...:

I very much agree, we make a smoked salmon and asparagus quiche with a saffron rice 'crust' - delicious!

Orthobrewsy: Have you ever tried putting some potatoes in the bratwurst pie?
Regards, GF.

Definitely want to try some potato with this. Good thinking, GF!

I've been thinking of using my quiche mix;1 regular size bowl of cool whip & 9 eggs beaten together. This & the stuffins will make two. More sausage,more cheese of course. The filling mix is light & not reall heavy,but full of flavor.

Are you going to use that cool whip in the bratwurst pie?

Yes. The basic mix works way better than half-n-half for quiche ime. I worked at Ford with a line chef at one time,& we talked about quiche at one point. He tried my recipe on his mother over the weekend. He came back to the job & told me she said there was only ONE thing wrong with it...there wasn't enough of it! I took that as a huge compliment from an old southern style cook.
Anyway,use a wisk to mix the 9 eggs with the bowl of cool whip. But just ll without beating the snot out of itl. Don't whip air into it,just get it to a smooth creamy consistency. You can even mix your seasonings into it. The whole thing will set up well in the oven to a light golden brown. Rich flavor without the extra butterfat of cream or half-n-half. It sets up taller as well.

Hmmmmm saffron rice crust... very interesting... i'll have to file that away in the memory banks. How do you do this?

I make a normal steamed Saffron Rice, usually a short grain rice. For us, we add a little Cilantro and Parsley and a pinch of Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. When the rice is cooked and cooled, mix in a raw egg or 2 thoroughly. Then press this mixture into your pie pan to make a crust. We try to press it down to about 1/4". Then we throw in some crumbled smoked salmon and bits of rough chopped grilled asparagus and our quiche filling. (the salmon and asparagus is sometimes left over from a barbcue the day before). Sprinkle the top with some fresh grated parmeson or romano cheese. Bake as normal and serve warm. I like it with a big glass of cold buttermilk.

(edit: The original recipe for this crust was adapted from something I saw on a Graham Kerr cooking show about 25 years ago.)

To answer GF, I do want to try it with the Bratwurst Pie.

To the OP, we forage for wild mushrooms, I think that's an excellent idea for another addition to the pie.

To uniondr, how about sour cream instead of cool whip? Just a thought mate!

I make a normal steamed Saffron Rice, usually a short grain rice. For us, we add a little Cilantro and Parsley and a pinch of Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. When the rice is cooked and cooled, mix in a raw egg or 2 thoroughly. Then press this mixture into your pie pan to make a crust. We try to press it down to about 1/4". Then we throw in some crumbled smoked salmon and bits of rough chopped grilled asparagus and our quiche filling. (the salmon and asparagus is sometimes left over from a barbcue the day before). Sprinkle the top with some fresh grated parmeson or romano cheese. Bake as normal and serve warm. I like it with a big glass of cold buttermilk.

(edit: The original recipe for this crust was adapted from something I saw on a Graham Kerr cooking show about 25 years ago.)

To answer GF, I do want to try it with the Bratwurst Pie.

To the OP, we forage for wild mushrooms, I think that's an excellent idea for another addition to the pie.

To uniondr, how about sour cream instead of cool whip? Just a thought mate!

Sour cream would likely not thicken as well as the cool whip. The flavor might be lighter,but it sounds good. Sour cream is more of a flavoring than a thickener...

Wow. Looks awesome. This is going on to the "to do list". Have you tried cooking the brats in a smoker rather than grilling?

First, grill more bratwurst than you can eat in the next couple of days. With what is left over, make a pie or two.

Ingredients:
Pie crust
8 oz Monterey Jack
4 oz Pepper Jack
1 medium onion
1 egg
2.5-3 bratwursts

Directions:
Grate cheese into a mixing bowl. Personally, I prefer a higher proportion of pepper jack.
Slice the onion.
Lightly beat the egg.
Chop the brats into nice, bite sized slices.
Mix it all together in a bowl and pour it into the pie crust.
Bake at about 375 for around 45 minutes.

Eat with beer. Repeat.

Illustrated below. Beer, center: pie destined for my stomach, lower left; hand that made it, right; goofy-looking boy, left.
View attachment 64964

OK, I finally made this following most of your recipe.
Instead of pepper jack cheese, I used Monteray Jack and Colby because the Wife doesn't like pepper cheese. I also carmelized a large onion for the filling instead of just sliced.
We thoroughly enjoyed it. Brother-in-Law and his wife were over and they liked it a lot also. No leftovers says a bunch.
We actually had this we Angry Orchard Crisp Cider, room temp not chilled and it made for a very satisfying meal.
Thank you again for the idea!

OK, I finally made this following most of your recipe.
Instead of pepper jack cheese, I used Monteray Jack and Colby because the Wife doesn't like pepper cheese. I also carmelized a large onion for the filling instead of just sliced.
We thoroughly enjoyed it. Brother-in-Law and his wife were over and they liked it a lot also. No leftovers says a bunch.
We actually had this we Angry Orchard Crisp Cider, room temp not chilled and it made for a very satisfying meal.
Thank you again for the idea!

I put my onion on the grill while I was cooking the bratts.

Back