• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleben113

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new or used barley crusher. I'm looking for one in at least pretty good condition.

If you have an extra or an old one then let me know.

The prices I'm willing to pay will vary based on its condition but I'd really like to keep it under 100 shipped if I can help it.

I'd like to start buying bulk grains and brewing a lot more but I need a means of crushing first.

Thanks

So I'm guessing people are pretty attached to their barley crushers. That's got to be a good sign.

No one out there has one up for grabs?

I am having one made in a shop. I drew it up and they are making it. I'll let u know how it turns out and if my friend would be interested in building for resale.

Plus it is a pretty low ball of a number for a crusher .. I want to find the same deal myself

That is really more of any ideal price. I'd pay more if it came down to it.

I am having one made in a shop. I drew it up and they are making it. I'll let u know how it turns out and if my friend would be interested in building for resale.

A custom malt mill, huh? That sounds pretty sweet. What kind of details did you specify when drawing your plans up?

I have a 3 year old BC with the 7lb hopper. I recently upgraded to a MM.
I will need to package the BC and get an idea of the shipping cost before posting a sale price.

sqhead said:
I have a 3 year old BC with the 7lb hopper. I recently upgraded to a MM.
I will need to package the BC and get an idea of the shipping cost before posting a sale price.

What's the condition like?

What about a corona grain mill? I was just reading the literature for them and other than throwinh grain indescrinately from the top of the grinde the users have reported no major issues with trere use. It is hand operated and the manufacturer does recomend not installing a drill motor, but for 20-40 bucks, How can you go wrong. Google Ugly Corona Mill on this site and see what you get. I will be stopping at that price point till I can save up a bunch more cash after I build my sculpture, buy burners, buy huge stainless kettles, and other proper and appropriate support equipment. If you can do it by hand then if the power goes out you can still brew.
Bob

I've read that a lot. That it just grinds grain into oblivion and you really don't get any control over the crush.

Barley Crushers come with a lifetime warranty, a roller that's adjustable on both ends, built strong, and one of the lower priced malt mills out there, it's a hard deal to pass up. Even at 132, they are a steal.

What about a corona grain mill? I was just reading the literature for them and other than throwinh grain indescrinately from the top of the grinde the users have reported no major issues with trere use. It is hand operated and the manufacturer does recomend not installing a drill motor, but for 20-40 bucks, How can you go wrong.

Yeah, I was going to go this route too but look at it this way, you could invest that $20-$40 in a nice mill if you're in it for the long haul. It seems to me that a corona grain mill will do the trick but some owners have upgraded later on to a BC, MM, etc.

I've never tried a corona mill, but I can say that the BC is pretty sweet.

uncleben113 said:
A custom malt mill, huh? That sounds pretty sweet. What kind of details did you specify when drawing your plans up?

2 1/4" rollers. 8" length made from cold rolled. Encased in 1/2" alum plate. Not adjustable :( but gap set at .030. I'm excited. Have only 2 extracts under my belt and I'm trying to cut as much of the upfront cost for all grain out

2 1/4" rollers. 8" length made from cold rolled. Encased in 1/2" alum plate. Not adjustable :( but gap set at .030. I'm excited. Have only 2 extracts under my belt and I'm trying to cut as much of the upfront cost for all grain out

That sounds like a really nice set up and a good way to save a little dough. Adjustable rollers are a must for me but let me know how it turns out. I'm sure I'm going to wind up driving myself crazy looking for the perfect crush but isn't getting there half the fun?

That sounds like a really nice set up and a good way to save a little dough. Adjustable rollers are a must for me but let me know how it turns out. I'm sure I'm going to wind up driving myself crazy looking for the perfect crush but isn't getting there half the fun?

I figured worst case I would spend 5-20 more dollars to have him make me a couple extra rollers that are bigger or smaller to get different gaps and then all i have to do is insert them. kind of a pain compared to the Barley crusher but I didn't have a clue how to make them adjustable. If anybody had input on how that could be done it would be appreciated.

I think it's in the bearings....the holes in the middle are off center I think... (eccentric bearings?)

And again I could be totally wrong....lol

I bought a monster mill...just the standard mm2 with hopper and base.... It's a beast!

crazyseany said:
I think it's in the bearings....the holes in the middle are off center I think... (eccentric bearings?)

And again I could be totally wrong....lol

I bought a monster mill...just the standard mm2 with hopper and base.... It's a beast!

I never understood what that meant until now. I may order some and see if he can adjust my drawing for them. I was just gonna use bronze oil impregnated bearings. Thank you!

I figured worst case I would spend 5-20 more dollars to have him make me a couple extra rollers that are bigger or smaller to get different gaps and then all i have to do is insert them. kind of a pain compared to the Barley crusher but I didn't have a clue how to make them adjustable. If anybody had input on how that could be done it would be appreciated.

Thats a great idea. I have no idea how to make it adjustable but I dont see why the different sized rollers wouldn't work

Thats a great idea. I have no idea how to make it adjustable but I dont see why the different sized rollers wouldn't work

I believe it will. I can't find small enough bearings for a reasonable price shipped. I searched high and low for a good all around gap and .030 seems to be a good one. Cold roll is fairly cheap for the rollers. I could have cut cost by just using 1/8" plate for the sides and use the 1/2" for just the axle bearing encasement. SWMBO is happy I didn't drop $150 on a mill. Now I just need to make a mash tun out of a cooler. Probably gonna go square cooler for that just for the fact that they're bigger and cheaper than 10gal round ones.

Good luck with your mill search.

Thanks and good luck to you too. Just a bit of advice, when building the manifold for you MLT, get PVC cutters to make your segments, NOT a hacksaw. haha

I might have missed the recomendation and if I did I appologize. Have you considered a Corona Grain Mill? I bought one off of Ebay brand new and shipped for 29 bucks. It is handle operated and can be modified for a motor or drill power. There are several brewers out there who have had them for years and are very happy with their results. They have made several buckets and feeders from plastic and different materials to hold uncrushed and crushed grain for way cheap too. Look at the My Ugly Corona Mill thread and see if that wont help you get going till a truly dedicated crusher comes along at a good price. Never seems to happen any other way, when you dont need something as bad anymore a bunch will come up for a killer price. Hope this helps ya.
Bob

Ma23456 said:
Problem with corona is the crush destroys the hulls

If your Corona mill destroys the hulls you don't have it properly adjusted. I bought my Corona for $30 shipped, read about others using them and my crush is perfect throughout.

It would be nice to hook a drill up to it but I don't mind the hand crank for now. I made a hopper out of a plastic LME container, works great.

I wasn't aware that corona mills are adjustable. I might be getting a BC but if the deal falls through then I'll look into them a little more. Thanks for all of the info

Back