Looking for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
Does anybody have a good Sierra Nevade Pale Ale Clone they have tried that is good?

10.25lbs 2-row
.75lbs 60L crystal

1oz nugget 60mins
.5oz perle 15mins
1oz cascade 5mins
1oz cascade dryhop

wyeast1056

It made a great beer.

There is a big thread on the Northern Brewer forum where a guy posted a SNPA clone. He said he had help from the SN brewmaster. It's a long but very interesting read.

Click Me

Thanks for the thread seyahmit, Lots of good reading. I think I will try the extract version on page 2 submitted by don.

AleHole said:
Does anybody have a good Sierra Nevade Pale Ale Clone they have tried that is good?
I just drank a bottle tonight of my SNPA clone I bottled August 8. I thought it was pretty good - maybe one of my best brews.

6.5 # Pale Malt Extract
1# 10L Crystal Malt
1/2 oz Columbus - 60 min
1 oz Cascade - 15 min
1 oz Cascade - 0 min
Yeast - Safale US 56 American (dry)
Steeped grain 1/2 hour at 155 deg
OG 1.049
FG 1.011
Pitched 7-6-06; to secondary 7-13; bottled 8-8

My SNPA is one of my all time favorites. It's a tad darker, but the taste is dead on. The kegs go WAY too quick.

For me, I use Galena instead of Perle, as it seems smoother to me. Perle seems to have a rough edge so to speak, and Galena is more smoother.

10 lbs. American 2-row
1.25 lbs. American Caramel 60°L
.40 oz. Yakima Magnum 60 min.
.50 oz. Galena 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade 10 min.
1 oz. Cascade 1 min.
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I found a recipe that I am going to use that was put together by a guy with some help from Steve the head Brewer at Sierra Nevada. He actually wrote the hop schedule. It is an AG recipe for a 6gal 90 minute boil but I am going to tweak it for DME 5 gal batch with 3 gal 60 min boil. If anyone is interested in the recipe let me know and I will post it.

AleHole said:
I found a recipe that I am going to use that was put together by a guy with some help from Steve the head Brewer at Sierra Nevada. He actually wrote the hop schedule. It is an AG recipe for a 6gal 90 minute boil but I am going to tweak it for DME 5 gal batch with 3 gal 60 min boil. If anyone is interested in the recipe let me know and I will post it.

All recipies are welcome and should be posted!

Well I saw someone requesting a SNPA clone on another thread so I thought I would post the recipe I used through some research on the web. On the Northern Brewer forum I found a guy that had an AG recipe that was put together with the help from the head brewer at SN. I just brewed this the other night 01/11/07 and is in my primary burping right now. I will transfer it to my secondary on Thursday. And just for the record SN does not dry hop like a lot of other SNPA clone recipes call out for.
Here goes.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
3 gallon boil
5 gallon Batch
target og 1.053

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale ( I used Wyeast american ale)

1LB. Crystal Malt 60L steeped at 153deg for 30 minutes
5.5 lbs. Extra light DME

.5 oz. Yakima Magnum Pellets @ 60 minutes
.5 oz. Perle pellets @ 30minutes
1 oz. Cascade pellets @ 10 minutes
2 oz. Cascade pellets @ 0 minutes

1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
2-3 weeks bottle
:mug:

I think we need either a clone recipe sticky or at least a SNPA sticky. It seems like once a week there is a request for that recipe.

Alehole, are you straining any of your hops or dumping it all into the primary. Looks like a good recipe. I will try this one.

Cheers, Scott.

Midwest Supplies sells a clone kit that is exactly like the real thing....I actualy dry hopped mine with some cascade hops outside of there recipie and then it was perfect.

After the boil I just poured it through my mesh strainer, topped off to 5 gallons, aerated, and pitched the yeast.

Well I just transfered my batch to the secondary and it looks real good. S.G. of 1.008. Tasted my sample and I have to say it was actually pretty good. I can tell its going to be some great brew. Can't wait to try the finished product.

Bottled the batch today I think its going to pretty close to the real thing hopefully better. I will probably test a bottle in 1 week and compare it to a real one. 1.008 FG. Beer is real clear as well.

My SNPA clone has been in the bottle 2 weeks now. I have already had 2 bottles and it is by far the best brew I have made. I am sure it will get even better in the next couple weeks. This is a great recipe. The color is dead on and the taste is VERY close. I am sure an AG batch would be dead nuts on taste. This is officially my house brew!

Glad your beer is great. It's nice having a great homeade beer. If it lasts another 2 weeks it should really be even better.

I made that beer going by the recipe from Northern Brewer but mine was a little off in taste and darker than I was hoping for.It was still good beer. I made another batch last weekend and it has been fermenting real nice for the last 3 days. Color is much better so I shall see. I would drink more Sierra if it wasn't a screw off bottle.

I just switched to partial mash, and did a recipe with 1.5 pounds each of Munich and Vienna malts. I could never acheive that certain "malty" note that SNPA has, until I tried these malts. I don't know which one did it, but it is for sure what I was tasting. I am surprised to find that all the clones I have looked at lack these ingredients.

The link posted by orfy in the first response to the original poster was to my recipe thread. The recipe that I followed, from AHBS, was a little more hoppy than the real SNPA but it turned out awesome. It actually spoiled me and I can't drink real SNPA anymore since it isn't as good as what I made. Of course I drank all five gallons way too fast....I miss that beer.

Ingredients:

11# 8 oz. American 2-row pale ale malt
1# 1 oz. English crystal malt (40L)
1 oz. 9.2% Perle (90 min)
.8 oz. 3.3% Cascade hops (15 min)
1.2 oz. 3.3% Cascade hops (5 min)
1 oz. 3.3% Cascade hops (dry hop in secondary fermenter)
Wyeast American Ale Yeast (#1056)

O.G. - 1.050
F.G. - 1.006
ABV - 6%
Estimated Color - 8.6 SRM
Estimated Bitterness - 37 IBU

Note for extract recipe: Substitute 6.6# light or pale malt extract syrup or 5.5# light or pale dry malt extract. Reduce crystal malt to 1#.

For the all grain recipe, adjust the pale malt for your expected yield and the bittering hops for your expected utilization. Use a single step infusion mash at 151F for 60 minutes or until starch conversion is reached. I use 3 gallons of water for the mash and another 8 and 1/4 gallons at 176 degrees for sparging. Boiling time is one and one half hours -- use more if you need to boil down your wort volume.

For the extract recipe, crush the crystal malt and steep for 20-30 minutes in 2 gallons of water as it is heating up. Do not exceed 180F. Remove grain, bring water to boil, and add extract. Boiling time is 1 hour.

Ferment for 1 week in primary. Add dry hops to secondary and ferment 1 additional week.

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.60
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.00
Anticipated SRM: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 37.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.5 11.90 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
12.5 1.70 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min. (at flameout no dry hopping)
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 6.8 10 min.
0.40 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.00 17.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 9.00 11.9 30 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I hate to bring back a old thread like this but I brewed the recipe by alehole a month back and kegged last friday and had people over. Wow what an amazing beer this was. It brought over people who only like bmc to crafts. I was amazed. I will make this a staple at my house. Also I added a ounce of cascade whole leaf and dry hopped 7 days. I did a side by side and the color aroma and taste were spot on. I had to prove to my buddy it was my brew in a corny keg not one of theirs.

Latest posts

Back