Transferring from fermentation bucket to carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfonce

Reaction score
I'm using a Barons beer kit and just did the transfer from primary fermentation bucket to glass carboy. Am I suppose to have 1 us gallon of liquid left over? I feel like I did something wrong somewhere. :confused:

No, it should all go into the carboy, except for the sludge at the bottom! I usually start with 5.25 gallons in the fermenter, and end up with a tad under 5 gallons of finished beer.

I wonder if you started with a 6 gallon kit, and then used a 5 gallon carboy? That's the only thing I can think of that would leave beer left over.

From a quick google search, I got barrons as making 23 litres, which is 6US gallons (or 5 gallons here in Canada). If you have a carboy from the US made for beer it should hold 5US gallons, whereas a wine carboy will hold 6US gallons.

Without knowing where you got your kit and how much you started with, I would say this is the result of using two different standards for brewing.

Welcome to my world. I am now stuck trying to convince hubby I should follow (and not scale) US recipes. He wants to know what happens to the other 11 bottles. (5US gallons makes about 55 bottles if I am right, 6US gallons makes 66 bottles.) Edit: after showing this to hubby I got the evil eye over the 11 missing bottles...just so you know (my apologies since that is very OT)

Well I must have started with a 6 gallon kit. Anyways I put the other gallon into 40 oz liquor bottles. Will this still work?

EDIT: Oh yeah. I forgot to ask, do I have to keep the beer in the dark at this stage?

Picture228.jpg

Seems like quick thinking to me... it will likely work... although you may lose extra in moving it back to the bottling bucket later... I would be concerned about the amounts of yeast transferred, except that it is at the end of the transfer, so you should have lots in the other two bottles to finish their party.

I would not be sure whether to do a second transfer to the "right size secondary" vs risking more infection. (I am assuming that the 2 liquor bottles were cleaned and sanitized, otherwise keep them away from your beer.)

Fun times with two systems both using "Gallon" but meaning different volumes.

Direct sunlight is your biggest concern as it will react with the hops and skunk your beer. I'd just wrap a towel around the carboy.. They 2 bottles are dark enough.

Back