Thin Beer Wanting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorpoet

Reaction score
My friend made her very first beer, a brown ale. Regardless of the receipe, it tastes a little 'thin'. Is there addition she can do to make it more robust? It's not a bad beer but needs a little tweak to really make it drinkable. Would she be able to add some spice or another adjunct to the keg? Thanks

0.85 lb. German Vienna
0.85 lb. American victory
0.85 lb. American crystal 60L
3.4 oz. Roasted barley - Black
0.51 lb. Dextrine Malt (Cara-Pils)

8.16 lb. Light dry malt extract
2 tabs Whirloc at 15 minutes.
Hops: 2.26 oz. Fuggles (4.3% AA, 90 min.)
Yeast: Wyeast 1028 London (Worthington) Ale. Pitched at 70°.

This is what I have of the recipe. Hope that can help.
If she was going to add the above mentioned maltodextrin, would she dissolve it first with a small boil?

The great thing about using MD is you can add it at any time...in the boil, the secondary, the keg or mixed with priming sugar at bottling time.

It's an unfermentable sugar that adds body/mouthfeel to thin brews. ;)

So, how will it be added? Directly? A small boil and dissolve? This is going right to the keg. thanks.

So, how will it be added? Directly? A small boil and dissolve? This is going right to the keg. thanks.

How long has it been since it was brewed and how long has it been in the keg? My first brews were a little thin tasting at first but after a month or two in the bottle really came around and lost that thin watery taste. Hope this helps.

Brewed 10/24. 2 weeks in the fermenter and then kegged. In keg for one week. I thought possibly the same. She didn't want to 'take up space' in the two keg capacity fridge. I thought of keeping it in the keg and cellaring it for awhile too. So we thought that maybe a boost might make her want to drink it! She just got hooked on Belgian Goldens....so...ha!

Back