Building a walk in refrigerated room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
Maybe this product has been found and discussed, but I wanted to throw it out there in case anyone is heading this direction.

Cool-Bot modifies a window AC unit for use as a refrigeration device.

$300 for the temp controller. Available on ebay or from the site.

I have not started reading threads on this type of build yet, as I am not quite there yet, so I apologize if I am rehashing information. I ran across this doing some sourcing for equipment for work.

It also has some specs that might be helpful for some in building a room:

Here's a chart showing the size of A/C unit we ideally recommend to cool a well-insulated room. (Meaning you have at least 4" of styrofoam in walls, ceiling and floor which is the "industry standard" for walk-in coolers).

Dimensions of Cooler Size of A/C Unit
6' x 8' 10,000 BTU
8' x 8' 12,000 BTU
8' x 10' 15,000 BTU
8' x 12' 18,000 BTU
10' x 12' 21,000 BTU
10' x 14' 25,000 BTU

A/C capacity vs. room size

There's no compelling reason to drop the $300 when you can use a Ranco for about $70.

Ok well modify that... unless you're hesitant about shorting the built in controller on an AC. I see the big thing with the cool bot is a thermocouple heater that fools the onboard temp probe into thinking the room is hotter than it really is. It's more plug and play, but not $230 worth.

Back