What Is That Taste???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've noticed in beers from at least three acquaintances a sharp, minerally, metallic taste. Almost like "minty" hops.

One was an Irish Red (all grain, British hops), one was an American Wheat (all grain, American hops), one was a Cream Ale (all grain, noble hops), one was an English IPA (all grain, British hops). It was hard to notice in a robust porter I tasted, but I think it was there.

They didn't seem overcarbonated.

Any guesses?

Well, I can think of a few things that may be causing this.

First, what metals are coming in contact with your beer? If any of these metals haven't been properly cleaned or have a chip in them, that could add a metallic off flavor.

My second thought is what kind of water are you using? It may have a high iron content which could lead to that metallic taste if it's high enough.

Lastly, what do you sanitize with? Chlorine products can sometimes give a metallic flavor.

IMO, beers brewed with sterling hops sometimes have a metallic taste...both commercial and homebrew beers.

I sometimes get oxidation as metallic. Maybe sloppy transfers?

Though it could also be the water, thinking of "minerally". But I'd think NYC with their fancy Catskill reservoirs would have great tap water.

If only there were some sort of tasting robot that could automate tasting. Then it would be like "you have too much <enter compound name here> you need to <enter reduction strategy here>"

Latest posts

Back