Can you add IBUs after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belmont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to do something like a hop tea with a long boil to add hop bitterness after a beer is completely fermented? I kegged an IPA that is WAY too sweet and am looking for a way to salvage it. I'm pretty close to dumping all 5 gallons as it is.

I added hops to my priming sugar once. I boiled about a quart of watter and a quarter oz of hops for about five minutes. It tastes just like a five minute addition (the other half of that batch was bottled unchanged.). Go for twenty minutes and you will get some IBUs. With a keg you would have to stir it in somehow.

I just did this a few weeks ago with a Saison that wouldn't dry out for anything. I boiled some hops for an hour in 1/2 gallon water, cooled the tea in an ice bath, poured it into the keg, and racked the beer on top. There was probably 1/4 gallon left after the hour boil, by the way.

This worked like a charm. I was really amazed how well the saison turned out. I wasn't expecting much, and I had been very disappointed with the brew before. Like you said, I was ready to dump if this didn't work.

It worked very nicely, and I'm happy to drink and serve the results.

Sweet. Thanks for the feedback Killinger. I don't think either of my LHBS have hop extract so I'll try the tea route. I'll see what I have on hand and boil it up tomorrow.

Hmm... I was thinking about doing this my IPA. I guess I mashed at the wrong temps and it's still a bit too sweet. I'm going to wait until it's carbed and aged another week or two though. I don't mind it a bit sweet, but it's not going to win any awards as it is.

Northern Brewer started selling the hop extract at some point fairly recently. Comes in a little syringe. Order that and some leaf hops and see how many Federal agents show up at your door!

Think I saw something similar on MoreBeer, too.

I've made hop teas several times to add to my bottling bucket. No boiling it,just hot water over some Cas or Cent in a french press for 20-30 mins. Hop tea made this way is quite bitter, so I say yes you can add bitterness to your beer after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back