Gauging interest: NYC/NJ Bulk Grain Buy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
{update} The grain is ordered and should be here Friday AM!

I'm looking at ordering some bulk grain from The Country Malt Group and was wondering if anyone wanted to go in and split shipping.

Total ordered: 34 full bags, 20# of Hops, 8# of spices. Not bad for the first buy...

B

what kind of price are we talking I would be interested in getting

1 bag MO

2 bag two row

1 bag Vienna

1 bag wheat

1 bag Munich

I don't think we're going to get over 2000#, so I think the stock prices are going to be what we get.

Looking at the site, most bags are around $39, and if we get a full pallet it will be about $3 shipping each bag.

I'll call North Country on Monday and get exact prices, then post them here.

I'd also be up for splitting a couple of pounds of hops if anyone is interested.

B

I'm interested, depending on price. What would the delivery location be? I'm in Brooklyn.

Thanks for checking into this!

Josh

Josh,
I'm in Clinton Hill/Bed Stuy. Most likely the delivery will be to my place and then you can come pick them up when you're free.

Brett

Hey Brett -- That would be very convenient. I'm in Sunset Park and my brew buddy is in Williamsburg. Have you been in touch with the wholesaler for a price list? We currently don't have a mill, so we'd need to calculate the savings of buying bulk vs. cost of buying/building a mill.

Thanks,

Josh

if you need to fill out the order i might be interested in some munich or vienna and can help carless people get their grain home (i live in greenpoint)

Son lives in Queens so its just a little detour to get to your place . I dont think he will be able to carry it all on the train when he comes up :D:drunk:

I was busy all day until after five, I didn't get to call North Country. I'll call tomorrow. Right now from the PDF on their site, I'm looking at the following (all 55# bags):

Franco-Belges
Vienna $35.28

Best Malz
Pilsen $34.78
Wheat $36.38

Canada Malting
2 row pilsen $35.89
2 row Pale $35.89

Thomas Fawcett
MO $40.42

Joshua,
I'm buying a barley crusher this week. With so much grain around, my little corona mill might just go tits up. I've already burned up one 12 year old drill, so I might just get a real motor as well. Once it's up and running, you're welcome to come over and crush what you need until you get your own mill.

More info tomorrow.

B

Brett -- we're definitely interested. The prices look good. Thank you for your offer to help with crushing. Feel free to PM me if that's a more direct way to communicate. We're working on planning out recipes to see exactly what we'll need.

Is anyone interested in splitting bags of specialty grains/adjuncts?

Josh

Here's the skinny.

The current price list is here: Download Catalog

We can order up to 40 bags on one pallet.

We can order DME in the bags of grain as well.

We can order Hops too: http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/Hops.pdf
I'm most likely getting a couple of pounds of centennial leaf. do we have enough interest to get an 11# bale?

Shipping.

Ouch. It's not the $115, but $140 per pallet, plus a 15% Fuel Charge. There's a $75 lift gate fee, but since I don't have a loading dock, I'll take care of that cost. So shipping is $161. Divided by 40 bags, it's a few pennies over $4 per bag.

If we get the order in by a Tuesday, we can get the grains the following Monday. I'm shooting for an April 20th Delivery.

So who is in? I'll update the first post of the thread with order totals and how many bags are left.

Payment: Once we know we've got enough people for the order, You can send me Paypal. Total up what you owe from the price list and $4 per bag shipping, then add 3%+ $.30 for paypal fees.

Option 2, Hand me cash before the order. No COD. I'm not getting stuck with 30 bags of grain.

Once we have all the orders and I have the cash from everyone, I'll place the order!

Brett

Guys, here is the price list for bulk ordering...i think that other is for "home brewers" check it out.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/NC_SalesBook.pdf

I called North Country and the person I spoke with said that if we're doing a single pallet order, we should use the bulk/1000# pricing from this PDF. She also said we could order specialty grains/adjuncts/hops by the pound if we don't need full sacks, and everything will ship on the same pallet. Does this sound right to you Brett?

We're going to figure out our order tonight and get back to you.

You can contact me directly if you like at joshuamfields at hotmail. We can exchange numbers from there.

Thanks again,

Josh

I called North Country and the person I spoke with said that if we're doing a single pallet order, we should use the bulk/1000# pricing from this PDF. She also said we could order specialty grains/adjuncts/hops by the pound if we don't need full sacks, and everything will ship on the same pallet. Does this sound right to you Brett?

We're going to figure out our order tonight and get back to you.

You can contact me directly if you like at joshuamfields at hotmail. We can exchange numbers from there.

Thanks again,

Josh

Maybe I am missing something here but MO @.74 per pound on the bulk/1000# PDF equals 40.70 for a 55 # bag . Thats more than the price Brett quoted of 40.24 and on the Home brewers catalog

I'm not sure what to say about the pricing... it's a little confusing. Maybe I'll call again tomorrow morning.

Brett- I met up with my brew buddy tonight and planned out our recipes. I'll tally everything and get you the list, hopefully tomorrow. We're looking at about 10 full bags and a few pounds of hop pellets, plus a bunch of smaller quantity specialty grains. Then we can make plans for me to drop the money off to you. You can contact me at my email (see previous post) and we'll figure it out.

Thanks,

Josh

I called back and spoke with another employee, who confirmed that we should base our prices on the 1000# column of the 23-page sales book, not the 7-page homebrewer catalog (even if we're ordering all different bags of malt, not 1000# of one product). When I explained the MO discrepancy, she said the homebrew catalog pricing is subject to change. It hasn't been updated since 2007.

I've tried out a couple different malts to see how this affects pricing, and so far it looks like it saves us about $1.50/bag over the 2007 homebrewer prices.

Brett -- Here's what Jon and I are looking at:

GRAINS (full bags)
FRANCO-BELGES PILSEN #F101 2 bags
FRANCO-BELGES PALE ALE #F201 1 bag
CANADA MALTING PALE ALE #2060 2 bags
BEST MALZ PILSEN #B101 4 bags
CANADA PREM. 2-R PILSEN #2002 1 bag
FRANCO-BELGES WHEAT #F601 1 bag
OIO FLAKED WHEAT #OIO-TW2 1 bag

GRAINS (smaller quantities)
THOMAS FAWCETT AMBER #T701 8#
CANADA MUNICH #2075 8#
GRT WESTERN CRYSTAL 40 #GW-C40 10#

HOPS (all pellet)
U-HOP-E Kent Golding 1#
IMPHOP-Styrian Gold 1#
U-HOP-Centennial 2#
IMPHOP-Saaz (Czech) 3#
IMPHOP-GRM Tradition 1#
U-HOP-Willamette 1#
U-HOP-Mt Hood 1#

With $48 shipping, it looks like our total would be $677.34.
I have this all laid out in a Word doc (with all pricing details) I will send you when I have your direct email. I could drop the money off to you pretty much any time between now and Sunday.

If there's any hassle with ordering the smaller quantities of grains, you can leave them off and we'll order them from Midwest or something. If anyone wants to split up a pound of Hallertau MTF, Challenger, Simcoe, or Warrior pellets, let me know.

I just received a 30 bag order from them and was completely satisfied!!! If your total order is over 1k lbs, then base your price off of the 4k lbs list. Just be sure you tell them you need level 2 pricing. Also consider that you should get it shipped to a commercial address or they hit you with an additional $90 charge. If you or a buddy have a pickup, screw the liftgate charge and just back your truck up to it and hand unload. Goes real quick and you can sort everyone's order. The delivery also comes pretty quick! I'm in NC and it was in town on the third day. And last but not least, it's only $2.20/bag for them to grind it for you. We got a couple bags ground just because we knew they'd be going into a barleywine right off the bat and no need to mess with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions!! They'll also give you a quote and email it for you to review before actually turning it into an invoice.

If your total order is over 1k lbs, then base your price off of the 4k lbs list. Just be sure you tell them you need level 2 pricing.

Thanks for all the info. If they honor this pricing, that'll drop about $1.65 per bag off our order!

J

I just got off the phone with north country.

We get the 1000# pricing.

If I have the delivery come to my place, it will be another $90 for residential delivery. The shipping company charges them, we get the bill.

SO shipping for 40 bags to my place would be the $140+15% + 90 for residential. $251 divided by 40 = ~$6.25 per bag. That's a f-ton more than I want to pay. I'm going to ask around and see if there's a loading dock I can use. I may just talk to the bodega on the corner and see if I can use their addy for the delivery.

Right now it looks like we have 27 out of the 40 bags. I'm hoping one or two more people jump on this and order a few bags. If we don't get the 40 bags, shipping we'll be dividing the $161 by 27... back to the $6 per bag.

Does anyone want to split a bag of a couple of things?

I'd like to split a bag of Dextrose, and a bag of Rye malt. If anyone is interested, let me know.

I'm hoping to order everything either this Wednesday or next Wednesday for delivery the following Monday. I've got to get the details worked out before then.

B

Sweet. I found a dock to use, so no lift gate or residential delivery charges. Which really means I can just order 2 more bags of grain. Which is 2 bags closer to 40!

B

Yeah, I'm really glad that my dock is going to help us out with this. Hopefully we can do this a couple times a year and keep NYC brewing affordable. Brett, I'll email you with a few order additions. Thanks for managing this!

Josh

Does anyone want to split the following:
Rice Hulls
Rye malt. I'm ordering a full bag but don't need all of it.
Flaked Barley Same as the rye.

Half pounds of hops? I'd rather have a few different half pounds than just a few full pounds.
I'd love half pounds of Perle, Warrier, Hallerteau, Simcoe. Let me know if anyone wants to split up a couple of pounds. I have a foodsaver, so I can package them well.

B

Brett -- do you want to get those hops in leaf or pellet? I've never used leaf, but I'd give them a shot if you want to go that route. I'd be up for splitting a pound each of Warrior, Simcoe, and Hallertau.
J

Cool -- put me down for those 3 half pounds then. That works out perfectly. I'll do my best to send you a finalized list of our order tonight or tomorrow morning. Pretty much the same as my earlier post, plus the half bags of dextrose and dme, the half pounds of hops, and some orange peel/coriander seed. Have a great day!

One more thing -- do you know the difference between the Hallertau MTF and Hallertau HB pellet hops? Obviously the AA is a little different. I assume MTF is Mittelfruh, but what does HB stand for?

Actually, I'm guessing it stands for Hersbrucker, described as having grassy, hay-like flavors. Did you want these or the Mittelfruh, Brett? I think we'd like the Mittelfruh.

Update:

Delivery will be Friday May 1st. I'll PM everyone about pickup.

One more phone call and I'll be able to post totals.

B

Hey Bret,

Sorry I didn't get back to you regarding the group buy, I checked my storage and I was pretty much maxed out as I don't like to store grains for to long (always afraid they will get wet, attrack vermin or just go stale). Anyway, after checking what I had on hand, I decided this is a great weekend to brew and went online to pick up a new hydrometer (I dropped the last one) and some o-rings to seal some kegs. Some random surfing thereafter and I end up at this site (which I had never been to) and came across this post (after recognizing your avatar).

Small world,

Matt

Updated 1st post. I'll email NC a prelim order tomorrow and get some totals for you guys.

If you know anyone else who wants a bag or two, let me know.

B

Hey Bad Coffee,

Any Jersey brewers involved that might be willing to mule my grain this way?? I'm interested but fear it may not be worth the trip for me. I'm in Monmouth County down the "shore".

Since there were a lot of smaller purchases, I divided up the total shipping ($161) by the total number of pounds, rather than number of bags. Shipping comes to $.08 per pound which is $4.40 per bag.

The order goes in today for Friday Delivery! I'll PM everyone their totals with shipping. Payment arrangements have already been made, so we're all set!

B

Bret, it was nice seeing you again and Josh it was nice to meet you too. (sorry I can't remember your buddys name)

Thanks for putting this together, and thanks for the extra rice hulls.

-matt

Latest posts

Back