Preventing that little bit of air/gurgle in tubing when kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Was wondering if there's a simple way I'm just overlooking to avoid that first few seconds of air "gurgle" in the tubing when filling my keg from the fermenter. Seems the little bit of air in the tubing needs to back up into the valve (on the fermenter) where it then stops - hope I'm explaining this correctly. Anyhow, I'm not paranoid about O2 and I haven't had any issues, but when I hear it it still makes me cringe and think about O2 exposure, so I figured I'd ask.

I've tried a few things and two that seem to stop it are to rise the tubing up to create a small backflow then lower the tubing and it should flow without any initial gurgling. The other is to pinch the tubing, but I only tried that once.

If this is just how it is (the initial gurgle I mean) I'm fine with that as well.

Rev.

No idea what gurgle you are talking about, but if it's air rushing out at the initial bit maybe you could just dump out the first ounce if you're worried about it? I really think getting that cautious about O2 is just futile and pointless if you don't have a pressurized fermenter. Wish I had conicals rated so I could do spundling valves.

No idea what gurgle you are talking about, but if it's air rushing out at the initial bit maybe you could just dump out the first ounce if you're worried about it?

It's a little bit of air in the tubing that takes a few seconds to flush out. I'm not worried about it, not at all, just wondering if there's a quick easy process to immediately purge it, that's all. I have tighter tubing coming for my Ss Brew Buckets which might resolve it anyhow being it will be a tighter fit that the 3/8" tubing I'm currently using, though I do recall getting the same little bit of air when using my last fermenters which had a nice snug tubing fit.

So no, I'm not at all paranoid of O2 and haven't had any issues. Just wondering if there's a way to avoid that bit of in-tubing air mixing into the initial run of beer since if there's a quick simply way to avoid it I'd prefer to rather than not. :)

Rev.

Back