Chicken Stock/Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

direwolff

Reaction score
Okay, sounds crazy, but I have this crazy idea to do a Chicken and Waffle Ale (Chicken and Waffale). The waffle part will be easy to do, it is the chicken flavoring I cannot figure out. Chicken Stock/bullion. I know of the old recipe for cock ale using an actual whole chicken, not interested in that. Anyone out there try something crazy like this or have an idea what might work?

I absolutely love chicken and waffles. I'd say maple syrup too. I would add bouillon as stock is really greasy. Add it in the boil with your whirl flock.

I'd add that I'm skeptical if this would turn out well. Maybe a brown ale as the base would be good. I think those beer styles are a bit savory.

Well, you could always make the famous Cock Ale recipe. ;)

But seriously if you really want to try what you're talking about, you could borrow from the field of molecular gastronomy, and the work of Heston Blumenthal and through a time consuming process make a fatless chicken consume, and boil that further to concentrate the flavors. And add that to the beer.

Some folks have done it with coconut milk/pressed coconut for beers. It's called "Freeze filtration" to get extremely clear yet very flavor infused liquids like for making consommes. It might work with your idea GF.

Here's an article on it from the NYTimes.

The Essence of Nearly Anything, Drop by Limpid Drop.

Heston Blumenthal demos it in this clip. Advance the timecode to 4:00 to see what he's doing.

You can see the results in the coconut wine thread.

I did it with chicken stock and it was amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off i absolutely love chicken and waffles, this Christmas my dad and are going to play with it and make Italian style chicken cutlets(southern fried flavored) to put on our lighter than air Belgian waffle recipe with raspberry chipotle maple syrup(copied from a local chicken and waffle tapas)

Now I just stumbled across this http://www.soupbase.com/mobile/Chefs-Ingredient-Consomme-Prep-Chicken-9-Fl-Oz/productinfo/LCPC/

I use their concentrated pastes to make all of my stocks, and this particular product seems to be what revy speaks of, notice 0 fat.

Good luck...god speed, don't forget the maple syrup, grade B.

Like Revvy mentioned above, people are making bacon vodka, and you could do the same with chicken, then use the infused vodka to flavor the beer without any fat.

Thank you for all the great ideas! And yes, maple syrup has always been part of the plan. I think a brown ale base would be a good way to go as well. I am thinking of starting out trying the bullion method in the boil, I do like the idea of using vodka. I am going to keep researching, which involves eating chicken and waffles, so I can't complain. Any other ideas, throw them at me, I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

direwolff said:
Okay, sounds crazy, but I have this crazy idea to do a Chicken and Waffle Ale (Chicken and Waffale). The waffle part will be easy to do, it is the chicken flavoring I cannot figure out. Chicken Stock/bullion. I know of the old recipe for cock ale using an actual whole chicken, not interested in that. Anyone out there try something crazy like this or have an idea what might work?

At work we got notice that next year we will be getting the new flavor's of frito lays, garlic cheese bread, chicken and waffles, and something else.

At work we got notice that next year we will be getting the new flavor's of frito lays, garlic cheese bread, chicken and waffles, and something else.

Hopefully that "something else" is the flavor I created. They are having a million dollar chip flavor contest.

I love this idea. Not sure if I would love the finished product but I just might.

If freeze filtration hadnt been mentioned I was going to suggest putting your stock in the fridge, and skimming off the hardened fat with a spoon (you could use it for schmaltz later on).

I love this idea. Not sure if I would love the finished product but I just might.

If freeze filtration hadnt been mentioned I was going to suggest putting your stock in the fridge, and skimming off the hardened fat with a spoon (you could use it for schmaltz later on).

I have some beautiful schmaltz in my freezer from all those chickens I help butcher last summer. I don't know what to do with it though.

My understanding of the freeze filtration process is that it takes it to the next level, it gets all the fat and solids out of things, even more so than just skimming. I've skimmed before but when I did it with the chicken stock I made after the butchering it left solids behind that I didn't even understand what I was seeing. I'm assuming it was proteins and such, much like our hot and cold breaks when we brew.

Not to threadjack, but might I suggest making chopped liver with the schmaltz, or simply putting it in a bottle with a spout and using it in lieu of butter or olive oil in chicken dishes that require sautee'd miropoix?

Back on topic, if you made stock as opposed to broth (made with bones as opposed to meat only) you will likely have to contend with gelatin on the solids side. For this reason I would stear the OP away from commercial boullion.

...r simply putting it in a bottle with a spout and using it in lieu of butter or olive oil in chicken dishes that require sautee'd miropoix?

Do I need to render it down to do that? Sounds like a good idea to put it to use. Pm me if you don't want to answer in here. :mug:

Back on topic, if you made stock as opposed to broth (made with bones as opposed to meat only) you will likely have to contend with gelatin on the solids side. For this reason I would stear the OP away from commercial boullion.

Yeah, I definitely would NOT use anything commercial. I would boil down my own stock or broth. If the OP's not like me, and I presume you, and doesn't have things like frozen chicken carcases, root vegetable scraps and smaltz in their freezer, ;) what I would do is go to the grocery store and simply get one of those 5 dollar already roasted chickens, chuck the whole bird as is into a big pot, fill it to cover with cold water, and simmer that for an hour or so. Then maybe pull out the carcass, strain everything, then boil the chicken water down by half, then put it in a ziplock baggy in my freezer to solidfy it in a slab, then do the ice filtration.

Definitely need to render down, my prefered method is in a frying pan on low with a wee bit of salt. :mug:

I like the rotisserie chicken idea, but I would take it one step further and remove all meat from the bones and skin first and simmer only the meat to minimize solids in the first place...

I have some beautiful schmaltz in my freezer from all those chickens I help butcher last summer.
QUOTE]

Wait a minute...is a reverend allowed to say "schmaltz"???

I love me some deli food.

Goes great with this;

f09dae037e5fc22405f274ec21ecdba7.jpg

My father attended a bris once, and the rabbi asked him if he would mind terribly wearing a yamika (sp?) in the temple. My father, being my father, took the headwear offered, put it on his head and said "if it was good enough for Christ its good enough for me".

I'd be careful about this one. I like chicken and waffles, and I like beer. But together? My only experience is making a curry beer. I like curry, and I like beer. But I despised my curry beer. (But then again, there's a big difference between chicken and waffles and curry!) Good luck and keep us posted.

My father attended a bris once, and the rabbi asked him if he would mind terribly wearing a yamika (sp?) in the temple. My father, being my father, took the headwear offered, put it on his head and said "if it was good enough for Christ its good enough for me".

+1

I've worn one when visting a temple. I've also worn clerical vestments when spending a week as a guest minister at my friend's Episcopal church, during Holy week. Or if I'm doing a wedding or funeral and the family requests it because it's a "mixed" function. (Normally we just wear suits, though at my church I just wear jeans and inthe summer the big thing is Hawaiian shirts) Doing what the prevailing host faith requires for it's participants is sort of the "when in Rome" thing.....it's a sign of respect.

+1

I've worn one when visting a temple. I've also worn clerical vestments when spending a week as a guest minister at my friend's Episcopal church, during Holy week. Or if I'm doing a wedding or funeral and the family requests it because it's a "mixed" function. (Normally we just wear suits, though at my church I just wear jeans and inthe summer the big thing is Hawaiian shirts) Doing what the prevailing host faith requires for it's participants is sort of the "when in Rome" thing.....it's a sign of respect.

:mug:

When you realize that often the first bit of common ground between two persons of differing (even warring) cultures is food or drink, and suddenly not enough can be said for the power a brewer or cook CAN wield!

Sorry... thats a peculiar rave of mine.

With the article about creating the consomme, could you do that with anything that you can turn into a liquid? Throw ingredients in a blender and maybe add some water?

With the article about creating the consomme, could you do that with anything that you can turn into a liquid? Throw ingredients in a blender and maybe add some water?

Actually yes......water or milk (not milk for brewing, but for cooking) and not always using a blender, sometimes they will simply steep whatever flavor they are trying to take the essence of in warm milk or water.

Here's him demoing it with just steeping.

I've also seen him do stuff with just water and a blender.

The Ideas in Food blog supposedly has a ton of consume/infusion recipes like that.

It's fun to play around with this stiff. I've only now started to look at it not just in the kitchen, but the brewery as well. The guy that took my advice for doing it to coconut milk wass able to get a fermentable liquid to make a wine with.

Next time I want to make my Ginger snap brown ale, instead of just putting the cookies in the mash tun, I'm going to blend them with hot water, then do gel filtration and hopefully end up with an extract to just add to the boil and even maybe to boil my priming sugar with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back