No Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo11

Reaction score
No bubbles, at least not many. I pitched last sunday around 10:00 at night.
My first brew.
The fermenter has been in my room with the A/C on since then.
I never saw the actiive bubbling I expected. I get a bubble maybe once every 4 to 5 mins.
What's going on?

Get out of the mindset that airlock means anything...bubbling or lack of in the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation occuring...There's way too many variables that can come into play in terms of airlock bubbling to use that as an indicator.

You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it.

I've had beers in my fermentor that have had almost no airlock activity, but I saw the liguid in the airlock was saturated with tiny bubbles. But on the other hand, the brown ale I pitched on a yeastcake from a previous batch sounded like a machine gun the way the bubbler was going up and down...I ended up needing a blow off tube once it got going...

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation....That's where the hydrometer comes into play.

I have a hydrometer and took a reading before pitching. 1.05 at 75 degF.
There is a white/tan sediment about 1/2 to 1" thick on bottle of carboy. There are very few bubbles/foam on top. No tiny bubbles in mixture.
Should I agitate the yeast. (No I don't mean nag at them:))

Your description is suggesting to me that fermentation is indeed happening/has happened. You'll only now for sure if you pull a sample and take a new Hydro reading. You won't want to do anything with your beer till the reading remain the same for 2 - 3 days in a row.

Get out of the mindset that airlock means anything...bubbling or lack of in the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation occuring...There's way too many variables that can come into play in terms of airlock bubbling to use that as an indicator.

You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it.

I've had beers in my fermentor that have had almost no airlock activity, but I saw the liguid in the airlock was saturated with tiny bubbles. But on the other hand, the brown ale I pitched on a yeastcake from a previous batch sounded like a machine gun the way the bubbler was going up and down...I ended up needing a blow off tube once it got going...

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation....That's where the hydrometer comes into play.

Revvy- On average, how many times per day do you find yourself copying & pasting the same info in the Noob thread?

Yes, I've read that same post before. You know how us noobs are. Hopefully it will turn out great and I can wait until the next new guy starts a thread about no bubbles.
I guess worst case is that the beer will taste like crap and I'll dump it.
The kit only costs $30. I can start again.
But wait, there is another worst case. The beer could have set a bad bacteria never before seen by mankind and KILL ME!

Revvy- On average, how many times per day do you find yourself copying & pasting the same info in the Noob thread?

Waaaaaayyyy to many...but it beats typing the same answer over and over...A lot of people give up answering the same question over and over...so somebody has to do it...

It's not like it's not repeated several times in places like the "Stone Cold" sticky created specifically for people new to the forum, or in the wiki....or wouldn't be found by searching "no bubbles" in the forum....Or on at least one other thread in the beginners forum on any given day...

It seems like this is a big issue this week with people...wonder why???

Oh well...

Yes, I've read that same post before. You know how us noobs are.

OK, I gotta know this....You've read it in other threads, the why do you think you're beer is different? This is what I've been trying to figure out for the longest time....

I really don't know how you "n00bs" are...I wasn't like that when I started last year...After I read the same info a bunch of times on here...like use your hydrometer, or RDWHAHB, or 3 weeks @ 70...I listened and did it just that.

I'm not trying to pick on you...I'm just genuinely curious...I tend to think it is part of the human trait to think of oneself as "terminally unique" but I'm not sure.....

I don't mind helping people...giving back what I got...but I wish I knew how not to have to do it...over and over and over for the same issue...

If you don't want to discuss it publically you can pm me...I'm genuinely curious...I think a lot of us on here would like to be able to figure it out to have the info easily available to people so they don't stress...and don't start the same thread that everyone else has over and over...

Bravo11,
In the thousands of years that beer has ben made by man it has not caused a plague

With that being said, your beer is doing what it should be doing
you will have beer in several weeks.

The best advice I can give you is, To brew another batch, Soon!
It will help you keep your mind off of this batch

Congrats on making beer
Welcome to the hobby/disease
and Welcome again to Homebrewtalk

Thanks Cheeto

I didn't think such a simple post would inflict such hostility.

Welcome to the board!
I can't really speak for Revvy, but, I don't think he meant to come across as hostile. There are people on here than genuinely want to help and he is one of them. They all are just trying to figure out a better way to get the information across and have people see and read it.

I can imagine it is frustrating for them. Take for example - With my first batch I woke up and checked on my primary. Krausen was boiling out all over my floor. I didn't even know it was called krausen and thought some infection was taking over. I panicked and posted that sludge was coming out of my airlock. (I'm sure they all rolled their eyes at that one). Revvy and others were kind enough to give me illustrated instructions on how to make an emergency blow-off tube. However, over the course of that same day, there must have been 5-6 other posts with the same exact situation. I can see where they get frustrated.

Maybe when people sign up for this board, there could be a quick direction to a frequently asked question link that has these issues in it. (The FAQ Sticky has some but not all).

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation and here's to hoping your beer turns out:mug:

Noob here....Yes me...I am a noob.

This is the best advice I can give, and it has nothing to do with beer. (now, if I could only follow it!)

If it is a sticky...read it....all of it....read it again. Log off, come back, and read the sticky...

I have, we all have, at one point in time jumped in with out looking first, and most of the time it is no big deal, it will happen, and it will happen again.

But if you can, in your moment of panic, remember someone has already walked the path you are on.

And it is in a sticky.

Thanks to all of the FOG's for helpin us out and putting up with our insane questions, you guys really do help us sleep at night.

Tim

Welcome to the board!
I can't really speak for Revvy, but, I don't think he meant to come across as hostile. There are people on here than genuinely want to help and he is one of them. They all are just trying to figure out a better way to get the information across and have people see and read it.

I can imagine it is frustrating for them. Take for example - With my first batch I woke up and checked on my primary. Krausen was boiling out all over my floor. I didn't even know it was called krausen and thought some infection was taking over. I panicked and posted that sludge was coming out of my airlock. (I'm sure they all rolled their eyes at that one). Revvy and others were kind enough to give me illustrated instructions on how to make an emergency blow-off tube. However, over the course of that same day, there must have been 5-6 other posts with the same exact situation. I can see where they get frustrated.

Maybe when people sign up for this board, there could be a quick direction to a frequently asked question link that has these issues in it. (The FAQ Sticky has some but not all).

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation and here's to hoping your beer turns out:mug:

Even if you had "NO BUBBLES IN THE AIRLOCK IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT" posted at the top and bottom of every page on this forum people would still post asking questions. You could require that people type in the phrase "no bubbles in the airlock does not mean that fermentation hasn't happened" before they could post, read, or join the forum and people would still ask.

I think people want a specific, personal reassurance that they aren't the one unique case out of eleventy billion.

That's one of the reasons why I posted my brew story in the n00b forum. I tried to make it mildly entertaining, and talked about the problems that I had.

I think people want a specific, personal reassurance that they aren't the one unique case out of eleventy billion.

That's one of the reasons why I posted my brew story in the n00b forum. I tried to make it mildly entertaining, and talked about the problems that I had.

I agree. I read your post when you posted it and thought it was very good.

Thanks Cheeto

I think I said it right here...

I'm not trying to pick on you...I'm just genuinely curious...I tend to think it is part of the human trait to think of oneself as "terminally unique" but I'm not sure.....

Like I said, I'm not intending it to be hostile....If I didn't want to answer the post and help reassure you that the beer was fine I would have done like so many of the regulars, not answered...There's how many hundreds of regulars on these forums on at any give time, and how many answered?

A lot of the regulars have given up answering the same question every day...I haven't...at least not yet anyway....

I joined this board after lurking on several other brewing boards...You know what those places are like if you are the 10 millionth person to ask the same question every day? It's usually something like "use the f@#%$&@ search button A$@#$@!" I know a lot of people around here feel like it, but here they/we tend to curb it....This is the friendliest, most helpful and welcoming board on the internets...

Flatline, you said this
Even if you had "NO BUBBLES IN THE AIRLOCK IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT" posted at the top and bottom of every page on this forum people would still post asking questions.

What we can't figure out is why???? We discuss this all the time. Why if the info is right in front of people's eyes do they still ask the question...And how can we present it better in the beginning...Not so people don't post...but so people don't freak out about their beer to begin with.

Especially me...how was I different when I started out a year ago? I saw "fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start." So when my batch didn't take off right away...I was reassured. Instead, I went "Oh, OK...Fermentation can take up to 3 days to start...Guess I don't need to start a thread asking what's wrong. The answer is right in front of me."

ANyway..you're beer is fine :mug:

Hey Revvy, what is the deal with your avatar? Where did you get it? I am not sure if it is a symbol or what.

Maybe this is clearer...

8972.jpg

The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of Sales Mgr. Tom Boogaard's grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to both our "small brewery, BIG BEERS" philosophy and to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart, a heart of candy sugar. It contains as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as the brewers could cram into our mash tun, and lots of Belgian dark candy sugar stirred into the brew kettle. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content. Cellarable for 4 years.

A Belgian Quad, It's pretty potent stuff! 10% ABV

Flatline, you said this

What we can't figure out is why???? We discuss this all the time. Why if the info is right in front of people's eyes do they still ask the question...And how can we present it better in the beginning...Not so people don't post...but so people don't freak out about their beer to begin with.

Especially me...how was I different when I started out a year ago? I saw "fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start." So when my batch didn't take off right away...I was reassured. Instead, I went "Oh, OK...Fermentation can take up to 3 days to start...Guess I don't need to start a thread asking what's wrong. The answer is right in front of me."

ANyway..you're beer is fine :mug:

The why I think traces back to what I said. People like personal reassurance. That's why rule #1 of TCJoHB is to relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew (over and over and over again). It seems almost too easy the first time you brew. You worry about almost everything and yet there you are, you're done. It can be hard to believe that a small packet of dried powder will turn all that sticky fluid into something drinkable. I love to bake, especially bread, so I'm used to yeast in bread, and so I know that if you give the little buggers a good working environment, they're doing to do their damnest to produce the finest beer imaginable. A lot of people don't understand until after they're done.

My biggest problem actually with my first batch was that after like 4 days, the bubbling stopped pretty much completely, while it was going like gangbusters after 24 hours.

Thankfully, I had read many places that fermentation has historically taken as short as 3 days (the brew-gods were happy that night), and I think that was what happened with me. So I left it sitting for several more days just in case. But I did worry a bit.

I think if everyone literally had a beer every time they worried during their first brew, things would go easier, especially answering the same questions over and over. The beer market would explode (especially around christmas) as potential brewers sucked back craft beer after craft beer as the irrational fears start cropping up.

For me, the 3-4 weeks waiting for my first batch was when I intentionally went out and started drinking beers I've never had before. I stick normally to Newcastle, Fat Tire, Duvel, Paulaner's Hefen and Guinness (actually, that's a hell of a "regular" roster). I went out to BevMo and bought a dozen different varieties of beer, from IPA to Bock and I even bought an expensive barleywine. I've drank most of them now (and made up for it at the gym), not drinking to get my drink on, but drinking to appreciate how each different beer tastes. My tolerance for hops & bitterness has skyrocketed in just a month, and I can taste flavors in my beer I've never tasted before, simply from paying attention. At the same time, I have a deeper appreciation for *my* beer, and I can taste the difference in ingredients and methods. Plus, having a beer buzz on at 2 in the afternoon because you're worried that your wort is too hot after you've done what you could really kills that gnawing feeling in your stomach.

Back