odd results when scaling recipe in Beersmith2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singybrue

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to brew a pale ale recipe from BYO magazine and I get some odd results when I scale it to my equipment.
BYO mag lists base efficiency as 65% and 5 gallons in the fermenter.
I scaled the recipe in beersmith for 75% efficiency and 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.
The original recipe calls for:
11lbs 4 oz pale 2 row malt
8oz Caravienne malt
6 oz Honey malt

The scaled recipe comes back as:
10lbs 4oz Pale 2 row malt
12.1oz Caravienne malt
9.1oz Honey malt

I understand the 2 row quantity dropping because of higher efficiency, but I don't get why the specialty malt quantities increased?

I went back and changed the grain percentages in the modified recipe to match the original recipe grain percentages and the malt quantities dropped below the original quantities.
10lbs 11.8oz pale malt
7.6oz Caravienne
5.7oz Honey malt

Any ideas? The software's version doesn't make sense to me. My corrected by percentage version makes more sense to me with the efficiency increase more than off-setting the slightly increased volume. But I could be wrong. Math is not my game.
Any ideas?

Just tried entering your numbers and got the same issue. My assumption is that since "match original gravity, color and bitterness" was checked off when you scaled, the software lowed the base grain for the higher efficiency, but then needed to increase the specialty grain in order to keep it at the same SRM

Back