Another Single Tier brew stand build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
After seeing many brew stands on here I have decided to build mine. Thanks to SouthernYankees Brew stand build postings for helping me with my build.

I had helped my dad build a ladder rack for a pickup truck that he owned years back. It was made with 1 1/2 square tubing. He had it sitting out back collecting dust (i mean rust). He had also bought more tubing to enlarge it to fit his new truck. But after telling him that i wanted to build a brew stand and that i needed square tubing. He told me that if I wanted the old ladder rack i could use it for my stand. what he didn't know is that i would also be using some of the new steel and all his mig wire and electric to do the build.

I got two banjo burners from the internet for a little over $40. A friend from my home brew club made the rings for me for some home brew. home depot was the source for the propane plumbing, mig wire, and screws to hold the banjo burner in place (the burners were taped for a 6mm screw).

going to order two march pumps, and quick disconnects.

the ladder rack in question.
DSC00413.JPG

the ladder heading for a new life.
DSC00414.JPG

starting to shape up.
DSC004221.JPG

looking like something now.
DSC00427.JPG

end of day one.

How's the build going? Any more pics to post? If you don't mind I like to use your stand to get some ideas for my own.

I don't mind you using ideas. I have more to put on this evening. I am just about done, i got the burners plumbed on sunday and did a trial run to makes sure there was no leaks. just have to paint, install bottom shelf and two march pumps.

another day.
making the mounting rings
100_09321.JPG

100_09331.JPG

burner opening
100_0935.JPG

installing the burners
100_09341.JPG

propane plumbing
100_09383.JPG

100_0939.JPG

another look at the plumbing
100_0942.JPG

It is alive.... I have to get a bottom shelf made but the burners do work. I am up grading the shut off valves to needle valves and the pumps should be in.
100_09371.JPG

If you are thinking how is the pipe attached to the frame. I tack welded it to the inside of the frame and when the bottom shelf is installed you will not see it and it is better protected that way.

Damn, you're getting a lot done fast!

... I am up grading the shut off valves to needle valves and the pumps should be in.

Keep the shutoff valves, and place the needle valves right after them. That way you can dial-in the pressure you like to the burner with the needle valve, and open and shut flow to it quickly with the ball valve.

Prost! :mug:

Could you post a parts list for the steel? I have a neighbor with an old rack also that I can cut from. BTW, it's coming out awsome! I really like the strength of it and the wind deflectors.

Cool. Thanks for that list. What size is the space (opening) between the pots? I like the idea of a space so things won't be as cramped.

It sounds as though you've already ordered your March pumps. Did you consider the Little Giant pumps?

Nice build, looking good, and I can't wait to see it come together.

Cheers

KingKegII no i just ordered the march pumps. I have heard a lot of good news about them and said to myself if i every go this route i was using them. I got a great price from Rebel Brew on the pair.
I am making a beer with my stand at the moment with out my pumps. i couldn't wait until i got the pumps in or paint it.

The distance between the openings are 13, 6 1/4, 13, 61/4, 13 you can find this out from SouthernYankee's page he has all the dimensions and a drawings. I just made the height 24" instead of 22" and if you do this you will also have to make the center support longer.

100_09431.JPG

Back