Critique My Recipe!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroberts1204

Reaction score
Barley Wine!

12.5# UK 2-row
.75# Aromatic
.5# Crystal 60L
.25# Crystal 80L
1 oz Chinook (90)
.5 oz EKG (25)
.5 oz EKG (10)
1 oz Cascade (10)
1.5# Brown Sugar (5)
1.25 oz Cascade (0)
Dry English Ale w/ 2 liter starter, decant (WLP007)
.6 oz. American Oak Cubes (Primary 10 days)

Mash150F, Sparge 168F
90 minute boil
70 IBUs
OG: 1.127
FG: 1.025
ABV: 13.46%

What do you think of the recipe? Water adjustments? BeerSmith says it will be 23 SRM...does this seem too high without any chocolate or black malts? How long do I need to age this thing? Thanks!!!

Looks pretty good to me. It's certainly worth a shot. You don't need roasted grains to contribute color, and your Crystal malt proportion isn't out of whack.

As for aging, well, there are too many variables to give you a definitive answer. All I can say is, "Until it tastes good to you."

Bob

Oh...and this is a 3 gallon recipe...just to be clear. As for the aging, I figure the longer the better but I was thinking of 4 months minimum before I should even crack one open. I don't know if I have the patience!!

the only thing that jumped out at me was your oaking schedule. I've never used oak, but it has been my impression that it should go into the secondary after fermentation and that the beer should sit on the cubes for longer than 10 days - on the order of weeks or months.

check out - Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Oak Alternatives

the only thing that jumped out at me was your oaking schedule. I've never used oak, but it has been my impression that it should go into the secondary after fermentation and that the beer should sit on the cubes for longer than 10 days - on the order of weeks or months.

check out - Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Oak Alternatives

Thats interesting. I just read through the article. I recently heard on the Jamil show about oak chips from Shay Comfort. He did this exact schedule on one of his and it apparently turned out well...but little oak flavor. I think they described it as well balanced which may or may not have had anything to do with the oak. I'll have to look into that

Looks like a great recipe. Be sure to adjust your efficiency, you'll most likely be sparging less than usual in order to keep it down to 3 gallons. You're getting a lot of color from that brown sugar, I expect. I also agree the oak is probably not going to do much in the primary, although you may get some very soft flavors akin to oak barrel fermenting, might be worth a shot. You could also add a little oak in secondary too if you wanted a bit more oak character. I would suggest balancing your water to favor chlorides if you can, that will accentuate the maltiness and keep the bitterness from tasting too harsh. And as for aging, it will keep getting better and better the longer you let it go. But there's no problem in tasting some early, it gives you a good idea of how a beer changes as it ages. But definitely put several away for a couple years!

Back