Mmmmm... Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
Decoction pays off... it's delicious!... Soooo malty. (Woops, got a little yeast in there from the bottle, but it's clear as day.)
100_0536-1.jpg

Decoction pays off... it's delicious!... Soooo malty. (Woops, got a little yeast in there from the bottle, but it's clear as day.)
100_0536-1.jpg
Great looking Helles one of my favorites! I find using real german grain is more important than a decotion brew. A step infusion with good german grain always works best for me.

Wow, that's one hell of a good looking brew!!
And a very nice head. But why is it served warm?

I find using real german grain is more important than a decotion brew. A step infusion with good german grain always works best for me.

I use Best Malz and do a single decoction with a Protein/Saccharification rest in the low 130s and a dextrin rest in the mid 150s. The Best Malz Pilsen malt I have is pretty well modified with an SNR of 41.4, so a straight Protein rest would just reduce head formation/retention. I've done step infusions before on Helles and, while they were good, they seemed to be lacking the fresh malty/graininess I get from the decoction. I've also used Belgian Pilsner malt before and you're right about the German malt. The Belgian Pilsner malt lacks that certain little something.

But why is it served warm?

Warm?! That's served in the mid to upper 40s. That's the serving temp recommended by Horst Dornbusch in his Bavarian Helles book.

Nice guitar! Looks a bit dusty though, how can you have a Les Paul just sitting around like that?

Oh yeah great beer as well.

Nice guitar! Looks a bit dusty though, how can you have a Les Paul just sitting around like that?

Oh yeah great beer as well.

:eek:Yeah, haven't picked it up in a while. It sounds great with the AC30 the beer is sitting on.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back