Amarillo - As only hop for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Just curious what you guys think about Amarillo hops. I was originally going to do a Two-Hearted clone with Centennial, but my local shop was out of them. I did however score a lot of Amarillo. I have used them with Cascade and Simcoe in the past for pale ales and IPA's, but I have never used them as the only hop.

Any opinions on this one? Brew day is Friday and I can't really get any other suitable hops except for cascade / northern brewer / sterling.

60 min - 2oz
30 min - 1oz
15 min - 1oz
10 min - .5oz
5 min - .5oz
0 min - .5oz
Dry hop - 1oz

Thanks for your input as always!

Amarillo are amazing. They're fairly similar to Centennial, and very good in IPAs. I made an IPA with just Amarillo as a hop, and just Vienna as the grain, and it was really, really good.

My 2c on your hopping schedule would be to lose the 30 minute addition and add those hops elsewhere, but TBH whether you did that or not, I reckon with that amount of Amarillo you'll have a really good beer. :mug:

Perfect, that is exactly what I was hoping for. Yeah, I will be tweaking my hop schedule a bit. I want to keep my IBU's around 60-65, but I want to have enough for late addition and dry hopping. I might move 1/2 of those 30mins to the 60min, then save the other half for late addition.

I am excited to see how they taste all by themselves. My Simcoe/Amarillo blend in the past tasted very much like grapefruit, but I have heard that the Amarillo tends to have more of an orange-ish flavor. Sounds pretty good to me!

I've done several all amarillo APAs. For an IPA I would prefer something like magnum for bittering, mostly for economy reasons, but I think all amarillo for flavor and aroma is great and they certainly will work for bittering.

That looks fine. I haven't made an all-Amarillo IPA, but I've had several. I'd be tempted to use the NB for bittering, just to conserve hops. But if you have lots, do it!

I did an all Amarillo IPA that turned out great. It wasn't quite hoppy enough but a dry-hop would have taken care of that. I'd echo what others have said about using something with a higher AA for bittering and just using the Amarillo for flavor and aroma.

Yeah. I think I'd like some of that. :D

:mug: I'm shooting to brew it around Christmas; let's see how that goes.

As an aside, did you ever do your side-by-side SNPA-clone dry-hopped vs. hop tea comparison? Couldn't find the results, but maybe I just missed a thread.

I'm thinking of Chinook for bittering ahead of Amarillo, for the same reason. Any thoughts on that?

Funny, I just brewed an pale ale this weekend with Chinook for bittering and Amarillo for flavor/aroma. It sure smelled amazing while brewing. Can't wait to try it.

Back