110 degrees, 120 gallons of homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleFluffy

Reaction score
Just got back last week from Burning Man, where we set up a free bar in the middle of the desert. My contribution was 120 gallons of homebrew: 60 Sterling Gold, and 60 of assorted whatever else I felt like.

DSCN0450s.JPG

Lots of dusty, thirsty folks came by for a cold one, and it was a pleasure to see the look on their faces when they got a beer that wasn't just cold, but tasty too.

Yay for real beer!

that's pretty impressive, dude. how did you keep them cold???

The red thing on the right (between the cornies and the bar itself) is a jockey box that ate huge quantities of ice, but did a fine job keeping the beer cold.

An "arts festival" that happens every year in the middle of Nevada.

The Burning Man Project :: Welcome Home

Sufficiently unique that I'd say everyone should go at least once in their lives - doesn't work for everybody, but if it clicks for you you'll have an awesome time.

120 gallons! That's awesome! Well done!

I think you captured the true spirit of burning man.

Sufficiently unique that I'd say everyone should go at least once in their lives - doesn't work for everybody, but if it clicks for you you'll have an awesome time.

I read the website. What the hell is burning man? (j/k....sorta)

jesus dude.. you should get a medal or something for that. How long did it take you to brew that much beer?

I read some of the website and really didn't get it. So I went to youtube and watched some videos of it. Seems like a giant hippy fest to me (but I could be mistaken)

It's a mixture. There are hippies wandering about semi-naked (but we have a compressed air pants-launching cannon for dealing with them, at least the ones you don't want to see naked), there are people driving around in Mad Max cars with propane flares attached, there are ravers pilled up all night, and there are people who just enjoy hanging out with their friends and looking at all the cool stuff. It's one of those impossible-to-describe things.

Everyone ends up finding something different. We just make sure that there's a good neighbourhood bar there for those who want to find one.

So I know that a few of the brewcasters on TBN were making the trip too. You didn't happen to catch up with them, did you? I mean, 120 gallons of homebrew has a way of attracting fellow homebrewers...

Thanks.

As Greg Brady would say, " Like, it's Far Out in an Outta Sight Way".

I never got burning man. A bunch of hippies get pissed off at society so they go to the middle of nowhere to start a society, but yet they desire the luxuraries of former society they left.

back asswards if you ask me.

I never got burning man. A bunch of hippies get pissed off at society so they go to the middle of nowhere to start a society, but yet they desire the luxuraries of former society they left.
back asswards if you ask me.

Some folks see it that way, and they annoy the p*ss out of me too. The only reason that it works is that everyone brings more than they need with them and shares it with their neighbours. Anyone who believes that it's a sustainable model has a very poor grasp of arithmetic, or too much acid, or both.

It's a very nice vacation from the regular world, but it isn't in any way a replacement for it.

(Anyway, this is drifting somewhat off-topic from beer).

Do you do 10 gallon batches? (for your sake I hope so :D)

Nope, all 5 gallon stovetop runs. (Even the AG is stovetop, I just put the kettle on top of two burners)

So when you say "free" bar, do you mean that you accept gratuities? Because I would if I made that much beer.

Other people bring free stuff too, and I eat/drink/play with that. Some folks are parasites, but most people bring something to contribute. It's kind of a pot-luck party - one person brings the beer, another the bacon sandwiches, another a flatbed truck converted into a replica of a Spanish galleon, ... you get the idea ...

I just read an article in Beer magazine about Burning Man and they mentioned a guy dragging a bunch of corneys there. Must have been you!

---Chris

Back