Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
I brewed my 2nd AG beer today. It was a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

How do my efficiency numbers look?

SN Pale Ale.JPG

70 % on your 2nd AG is pretty d@mn good. Congrats. :rockin:

:off:
A little aside: Sierra Nevada is probably my favorite commercial brewery (if not tied with Stone). They are majorly responsible for the resurgance and popularity we now enjoy with commercial craft brews (you east coasters might disagree, but it is definately true out here west of the rockies.:off:
Good work, keep it up.

Thanks...for just starting AG brewing, I am pleased with my efficiency numbers. I remember having my first SN Pale Ale back in 1987. It has always been one of my favorite beers. Let's hope that this recipie will work without using Magnum Hops.

I love SNPA, and sitting in a local bar and drinking a pint of it on tap that was in perfect condition drove me to go to all grain brewing after 20+ years of extract brewing. This is the recipe I used, and having brewed it three times, I can highly recommend it. Read through the thread, but stick with Beerfan's recipe, don't deviate and you will come the closest to SNPA that you can at home - http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=15532&highlight=snpa

Something I see a lot of people doing is focusing on how high the efficiency number is instead of focusing on making it the same every time.

Brewing every single brew at 60% will give you the ability to make better beer than having an efficiency that is all over the map everytime you brew.

It looks like you collected more wort than the recipe called for which lowered your pre-boil OG, you then boiled off more than you had planned which raised your OG after the boil.

For next time, try to get closer to your pre and post boil volumes and that will help you make more consistent beer, at least that's my goal anyway.

Linc

Latest posts

Back