Steel Cut Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
So I get my ebrew Oatmeal Stout kit today and it has a bag of specialty grain with some flaked and roasted barley along with black patent and chocolate malt. BUT it also came with a pound of steel cut oats, that dont have a strainer bag like the specialty malt. Anyone know when that gets added or if it just gets steeped? I have had good results with ebrews kits, but there directions are lacking sometimes.

Your probably just supposed to steep those, although I believe they really need to be mashed to extract any fermentables. Flaked barley should be mashed also I believe.

Your probably just supposed to steep those, although I believe they really need to be mashed to extract any fermentables. Flaked barley should be mashed also I believe.

Correct. Since this appears to be an extract kit, I would attempt a thin partial mash and steep the steel cut oats with the specialty grains in a small pot with enough water to cover the bag at 155F for 30 minutes. Not sure how much conversion the OP will get with only black patent and chocolate malts, but I think it is the best he can hope for without a trip to the homebrew store.

Back