Heineken Mini Kegs- whats inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MESmith

Reaction score
I just finished a Heiny mini keg and tried to see if it can be used for re kegging. After driving the center draft spout into the keg I then cut it open.

I don't think they can be used.

1) the center draft spout is slightly larger inside than outside, this could be worked around since it is soft aluminum.

2) the carbonator is glued to the bottom and is a small aerosol can 2" X 6" and definitely cannot be removed without cutting open the keg. this is the biggest problem because I don't think you could clean the inside with the carbonator inside.

I've seen people make manifolds for the normal 5L kegs... So that might be an option

Emanresu said:
Is there any way to make a keg similiar to heiny keg but make it reusable?

you can buy them if you can find them. they were the rage for sometime, at 5 liters. now they are impossible ot find in the US.

I'm about to put my mini-keg CO2 tap up for sale since I no longer use the system.

you can buy them if you can find them. they were the rage for sometime, at 5 liters. now they are impossible ot find in the US.

I'm about to put my mini-keg CO2 tap up for sale since I no longer use the system.

you're right, all i can find are the "tap-a-draft" systems. We have party pigs, but those mini kegs look nice and are easy to store. What does your mini keg look like?

malkore said:

Is that the same one's they sell Kostritzer in?
If so, they are readily available at my local beer dist. I don't see why any distributer couldn't order them for you. Last I checked, they were only like $17. Not bad for Kostritzer, man that is good stuff...

They look like this
MiniKegGasser.jpg

That little tap on top is exactly what I have. The box it came in is mostly in German, with some very bad Engrish translations.

They appear to have some that would work for sale here: http://www.weekendbrewer.com/minikegs.htm

note it has both a bottom dispenser, and a hole in the top for filling, plugging with a bung, and using the CO2 powered tap.

I don't have any mini-kegs left...they all eventually rusted on the inside and outside.

Hello there

My first post just to show you some pictures that I took when I opened the HEINEKEN KEG 5 liter ( bought in Brazilian local market ) . I did not open to use it later.. I was just trying to find out what was inside.. so, I saw the whole can apart.

26092009313.jpg

26092009314.jpg

27092009316.jpg

27092009315.jpg

i've also cut open a used heineken beertender keg out of curiousity.. i did it in a much cleaner way, i drilled a hole in the top and used a bosch nibbling tool to cut the top off of the keg..

the kegs are made of steel, so aren't worth much... the inner white co2 unit is very interesting in that the cap contains a piston that acts as a pressure regulator against the valve on the co2 can, allowing enough pressure to dispense the beer while not allowing enough pressure to explode the keg. i haven't cut open the co2 unit, but it does contain some sort of filler material... almost like it's filled with gravel or bb's or something similar.

i consider the beertender kegs to be an economic and environmental disaster... the cost for 5 liters of mediocre beer is bad enough, the fact that very little of the container is recycleable by any practical means says that this product is a major flop.

I dont know how much it costs in your country, but in Brazil you can find prices range between U$ 25.00 and U$ 40.00 , depending on season, sales , etc...

Back