Any brewers in the Conway Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words fellas! I'm working a space/time machine that will allow me to move west of I430, until then I'll be where we are. 😏

It's a Oatmeal Stout kind of night... Washing bottles... So tomorrow it's bottle night!

I actually like bottling... it takes like 30 minutes to do a batch unless I stop to have a drink a few extra times... :)

Greetings! I have closed on a place in Greenbrier (15 minutes to my brothers place on Beaverfork Lake) just off 25 near the Wooster sign (yes in the country, out of city limits) on 8 acres. Should be there permanently by Sept. or Jan. 2016 (my director wants me to work through December, tax advantages and bonus advantages).
I have gone through the thread and picked up two stores I need to check out and the people in the area seem to like BEER... Anyway I have been an all-grain brewer for 20+ years and have a semi automated (soon to be updated) system designed for 10 gallon batches (20 gallon Blichmann pots), and I have 2 Blichmann 14 galllon conical sanitary (tri-clamp) fermenters each in its own 13 CF temperature controlled (heat & cool) freezer with programmable fermentation profiles (BrewPi). I also have a 25 CF keezer with 8 taps, and am in the process of converting from ball lock kegs to 5 gallon Sanke kegs (I hate gas leaks!).
Once I get settled I will be very actively brewing to re-stock empty kegs and do not mind guests during brew sessions. I will be fixing up my place during trips roughly once a month until I retire and would also like tagging up with some brew brothers (dry county items suck for sampling craft beers with friends).
Anyway hope to meet ya'll soon.
:mug:

My name is Nolen and I own The Water Buffalo, a beer and wine supply shop in Little Rock. I just had a conversation with a fellow beer maker and he told me you guys had mentioned my store. Thanks for the interest.

The Water Buffalo carries dozens of grains, DME, LME, hops, Wyeast, dry yeasts, kits, recipe books, culturing hardware, grain mills, kegs, hoses, fittings, and much much more. We also have classes for Intro to Beer and Intro to Wine making. We also have cheese making equipment, and intro to cheese making class taught by Kent Walker, professional artisan cheese maker.

I addition to all that, we also have a complete selection of indoor, hydroponic, aquaponic, and organic gardening supplies in stock. We carry everything you need to move your garden inside, and grow more food for yourself and others.

Stop by and see for yourself. We are just South of the intersection of Rodney Parham and Markham at 106 S Rodney Parham. Red Lobster is just to the North of us, on the same side of the road.

Nolen,
Just a quick question after I checked out your site. Do you sell 50 lb. (or 55 as it may be) bags of grain? I will be looking for a good source once I move to Arkansas (Google says 44 minutes from my place to yours).

Greetings! I have closed on a place in Greenbrier (15 minutes to my brothers place on Beaverfork Lake) just off 25 near the Wooster sign (yes in the country, out of city limits) on 8 acres. Should be there permanently by Sept. or Jan. 2016 (my director wants me to work through December, tax advantages and bonus advantages).
I have gone through the thread and picked up two stores I need to check out and the people in the area seem to like BEER... Anyway I have been an all-grain brewer for 20+ years and have a semi automated (soon to be updated) system designed for 10 gallon batches (20 gallon Blichmann pots), and I have 2 Blichmann 14 galllon conical sanitary (tri-clamp) fermenters each in its own 13 CF temperature controlled (heat & cool) freezer with programmable fermentation profiles (BrewPi). I also have a 25 CF keezer with 8 taps, and am in the process of converting from ball lock kegs to 5 gallon Sanke kegs (I hate gas leaks!).
Once I get settled I will be very actively brewing to re-stock empty kegs and do not mind guests during brew sessions. I will be fixing up my place during trips roughly once a month until I retire and would also like tagging up with some brew brothers (dry county items suck for sampling craft beers with friends).

Really good to have you!! Oh and by the way, you have not only met another brewer; KF5WHN and pleased to meet you! As you may have gathered in my other posts, my name is Eric.

I'm in the process of putting together an electric brewery but it has been slow going on gathering parts so far. Would love to get a chance to see yours in action when you get settled in. I certainly don't blame you for going to sankes, I have to leave the gas turned off on my system unless I'm carbonating or I need to re-pressurize enough to dispense.

Would love to meet up sometime for sampling beers, commercial or homebrew. Also hope to work your station.

73s.

welcome! I guess you know you are moving to a dry county? :) I have a friend in Conway that wants to tart a brewery but they are a no no in Faulkner County... good thing I live in Conway County...maybe 20 miles west of you. I have no interest in starting a brewery...I just retired and enjoy the time off. :) I would love to see your set-up once you get moved in though.
Bob

I just ordered the BrewPi Spark:
https://store.brewpi.com/brewpi-spark
I know being in the Netherlands shipping is $$ but Elcoe does really good work, I have two of his fermentation BrewPi's and am well pleased with the graphing and custom profiling capabilities. These will be interfaced/integrated to my whole system once I get to Arkansas and set up my home brewery. If you like electric it is one of 2 systems I would consider. The other is the BCS-642:
https://www.brewershardware.com/BCS-462-Brewery-Control-System-BCS462.html
I have a friend with one and is well pleased (ShadeTreeBrewer)

the BrewPi Spark is cool...I like the looks of it way more than the other controller...better price too.

Welcome! Best of luck with the move. If you decide to sell some ball locks so you can get sankes let me know. I could always use a few more.

Really good to have you!! Oh and by the way, you have not only met another brewer; KF5WHN and pleased to meet you! As you may have gathered in my other posts, my name is Eric.

I'm in the process of putting together an electric brewery but it has been slow going on gathering parts so far. Would love to get a chance to see yours in action when you get settled in. I certainly don't blame you for going to sankes, I have to leave the gas turned off on my system unless I'm carbonating or I need to re-pressurize enough to dispense.

Would love to meet up sometime for sampling beers, commercial or homebrew. Also hope to work your station.

73s.

I've been piecing an electric system together now for about 2 years. I'm building a recirculating BIAB setup. I'm to the point now where I need a control panel. I'd like to build my own, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to wiring something other than a light switch. I may just end up buying one. What kind of system are you building?

Welcome! Best of luck with the move. If you decide to sell some ball locks so you can get sankes let me know. I could always use a few more.

I've been piecing an electric system together now for about 2 years. I'm building a recirculating BIAB setup. I'm to the point now where I need a control panel. I'd like to build my own, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to wiring something other than a light switch. I may just end up buying one. What kind of system are you building?

It's going to be a 20 gallon system, recirculating mash, electric kettle and all. I'm going to build my own control panel similar to theelectricbrewery one. Check out their website they have step by step pictures and instructions if your not an electrical geek don't worry, you can still do it. I plan to start with an electric kettle only and then keep upgrading my system and control panel as I go.

It's going to be a 20 gallon system, recirculating mash, electric kettle and all. I'm going to build my own control panel similar to theelectricbrewery one. Check out their website they have step by step pictures and instructions if your not an electrical geek don't worry, you can still do it. I plan to start with an electric kettle only and then keep upgrading my system and control panel as I go.

Yeah the electric brewery is my dream brewery. Love that thing. I'm just doing a simple panel. 1 PID, 1 pump, and 1 element.

I can't wait to see all of these fancy automated electric brewing set-ups... I might even make one. :) BUT... in the mean time, I have brewed 4 batches this month... :)
Bob

Well we will live about 5 minutes apart.

I still haven't gotten any equipment (mountain bike hobby has taken the free funds), but I still plan on getting a setup. I'd love to get together and help/learn/observe a brew day. We need to make this happen.

Off topic:

What mountain bike did you choose and what shop did you go to if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to cross train on a mountain bike because jogging is giving my knee fits. Thinking about going and looking at a Specialized Hardrock 29er on CL later today. Are you involved with CAB?

Oh and "On' topic, I'm headed to the rock to pick up a sack of grain, thinking about doing a nice Irish Red, also going to bottle that German Pils I brewed a couple weeks back.

Oh and "On' topic, I'm headed to the rock to pick up a sack of grain, thinking about doing a nice Irish Red, also going to bottle that German Pils I brewed a couple weeks back.

what price did you get and where are you going? I'm thinking I might use a bag of something to go with my US 2 row...sent you a text.
Bob

Off topic:

What mountain bike did you choose and what shop did you go to if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to cross train on a mountain bike because jogging is giving my knee fits. Thinking about going and looking at a Specialized Hardrock 29er on CL later today. Are you involved with CAB?

I got a great deal at The Ride in Conway. I worked with the owner Eric. I ended up with a Specialized Crave Comp 29er. The Hardrock is a solid bike. What frame size are you looking for?

I have a road bike too, but I rarely ride it. I'm involved with IMBA and the local affiliate CATA. That's the group that got the trail at Woolly Hollow built. I ride there often.

I got a great deal at The Ride in Conway. I worked with the owner Eric. I ended up with a Specialized Crave Comp 29er. The Hardrock is a solid bike. What frame size are you looking for?

I have a road bike too, but I rarely ride it. I'm involved with IMBA and the local affiliate CATA. That's the group that got the trail at Woolly Hollow built. I ride there often.

I think I want about a 20 inch not sure, I'm right at 6ft. I haven't road a bike much until a few weeks ago since I was in college, at that time I was riding it to work and school. I inquired about 2 Hardrocks but they both fell through, I'm going to save a bit more money and see what happens. I'm definitely holding out for a 29er. Dunno what all the local shops will have in my 600-700 dollar budget. Really excited about riding again but I'm just so out of shape!

I think I want about a 20 inch not sure, I'm right at 6ft. I haven't road a bike much until a few weeks ago since I was in college, at that time I was riding it to work and school. I inquired about 2 Hardrocks but they both fell through, I'm going to save a bit more money and see what happens. I'm definitely holding out for a 29er. Dunno what all the local shops will have in my 600-700 dollar budget. Really excited about riding again but I'm just so out of shape!

Honestly The Ride has several bikes in there on consignment so you may find more than you'd expect. CL will be a good option too. Checkout pinkbike.com's classifieds as well. I think 20" all the way down to 17.5" depending on the geometry of the frame would work for you. I have an 18.5 and I'm 6'1. For $700 you can get more than a hardrock in the used market for sure.

Honestly The Ride has several bikes in there on consignment so you may find more than you'd expect. CL will be a good option too. Checkout pinkbike.com's classifieds as well. I think 20" all the way down to 17.5" depending on the geometry of the frame would work for you. I have an 18.5 and I'm 6'1. For $700 you can get more than a hardrock in the used market for sure.

Thanks for the info I will check into that. Would like to build a relationship with a local bike shop for sure. My budget was a lot lower, which is why I was looking at the used Hardrocks, but I decided to save a couple more weeks and spend a bit more.

Beer related:

I brewed 10 gallons of oatmeal stout today and I'm making a yeast starter for tomorrow's 10 gallon Irish Red batch. Going to wash and organize my bottles later, might even start planning an American IPA for next week if I can squeeze it in.

The wife really likes the idea of us buying a 12x20 (or so) fully enclosed metal building to put out back on the concrete slab where our old shed was, so that I can have a dedicated place to brew! Going to go Monday and find out how much that's gonna set me back. Should not have went into "Bob's Brewhouse", way too inspiring!

I brewed 10 gallons of oatmeal stout today and I'm making a yeast starter for tomorrow's 10 gallon Irish Red batch. Going to wash and organize my bottles later, might even start planning an American IPA for next week if I can squeeze it in.

The wife really likes the idea of us buying a 12x20 (or so) fully enclosed metal building to put out back on the concrete slab where our old shed was, so that I can have a dedicated place to brew! Going to go Monday and find out how much that's gonna set me back. Should not have went into "Bob's Brewhouse", way too inspiring!

I feel a beer trade coming...love to try both of your new brews... :mug:

I bottled the Moonshine Malt Liquor today, so you can try it before long. Thanks for picking up my grain...sorry I forgot the beer. BTW- my shed is actually 12x22...so it's almost the same size!
Bob

Well we will live about 5 minutes apart.

I've been lurking in this thread for awhile, but since it seems like there are some active folk that are just about within walking distance of me I thought I would post on up. I'm south of Wooster just a bit off of Pleasant Valley. I'm a newb...graduated from Mr. Beer and to 5 gallon extract kits...building a ice chest mash tun as we speak and hope to brew my first all grain batch within the week... Would love to meet up with some folks around here at some point...

I've been lurking in this thread for awhile, but since it seems like there are some active folk that are just about within walking distance of me I thought I would post on up. I'm south of Wooster just a bit off of Pleasant Valley. I'm a newb...graduated from Mr. Beer and to 5 gallon extract kits...building a ice chest mash tun as we speak and hope to brew my first all grain batch within the week... Would love to meet up with some folks around here at some point...

welcome! You will find lots of help here... and it sounds like Greenbrier is becoming a beer making mecca... :) Conway has grown so fast that you would think there would be a brewing supply shop there already...especially since the county is dry! ???

Really glad to hear from you! Your welcome to come brew with me any time you want, I usually post on here before I brew too. Good luck on your first all grain, what beer are you brewing for it?

Whoa man... Yeah 5 minutes from you. Would it be cool if I assisted on the brew?

welcome! You will find lots of help here... and it sounds like Greenbrier is becoming a beer making mecca... :) Conway has grown so fast that you would think there would be a brewing supply shop there already...especially since the county is dry! ???

Thanks for the welcome...yep I would think a homebrew shop could thrive. The number of new breweries in LR show that craft beer is definitely hitting critical mass, I would think homebrew would follow suite. Of course, I wouldn't doubt if there was some obscure county law on the books prohibiting such an establishment...

Really glad to hear from you! Your welcome to come brew with me any time you want, I usually post on here before I brew too. Good luck on your first all grain, what beer are you brewing for it?

Thanks man. I should probably just get a kit first out and try to make it to the best of my ability, but that doesn't seem like quite as much fun...so I'm tweaking from various Moose Drool recipes I've found online and will be making something in that vein. Pretty close to Northern Brewers Caribou Slobber, but switching the grain amounts for the dark crystal and the light and bumping the chocolate malt up a bit...hop schedule same as NB. It shall be Arkansas Elk Spittle.

Whoa man... Yeah 5 minutes from you. Would it be cool if I assisted on the brew?

That could be fun...I might be putting it off until later in the month when my wife has to work on the weekend...that way I'm not pressed for time and my last batch should be carb'd and conditioned by then...Hmm...hate to wait that long though...PM me and let's see if we can work some time out...

Moose Drool is awesome, have you had the real thing? I brew a Moose Drool clone quite often, have gotten a nice recipe for it from the book "Clone Brews", and I must say it's spot on. Arkansas Elk Spittle sounds even better to me though.

Nope, I took a nap, then went to Conway to get some new glasses. I will try to brew it in the next few days though as soon as I get time. I'm actually sitting here at this moment trying to plan my next brew. I have to re-up on specialty grains though, 10 gallon batches burn e'm up awful quick. Also going to order a few pounds of hops.

I haven't figured anything out for Road Warrior, but I did find a recipe for the regular West Coast IPA, which should be fairly close less the rye, in my "Clone Brews" book. Either way, I'm falling off the wagon and going on a hop binge. Drinking one of those German Pale Ales right now, it needs to carb a bit more but it's actually pretty decent considering how soon I bottled it and everything. Has a decent hop finish, could be a little more bitter though.

IMG_4108.jpg

Green Flash makes one of my favorites as well...they make a Trippel that's 9.7% and has zero alcohol taste...they're awesome but hard to find. They also make a Triple (Green Bullet)IPA that you would really like....and it's 10.1%.

I have a few extra cases of used bottles if anyone is interested. Let me know pick up in Conway. Mostly Sam Adams, rinsed but some still have labels on them. Just have more than enough!

Eric needs some bottles...he will contact you.
Bob

Back