Please help w/ my smoked porter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
I'm doing a partial grain smoked porter and I'm wondering what percentage of the grain bill you'd recommend using for the Rauch malt. I'll be steeping the grains (i'm not at ag yet) for 45min-1hr. I'm using 1lb caramel wheat, 8oz blk patent and 8oz choc malt. I bought 2lbs of the Rauch, but wondering if using all of it would be too overpowering. I want SOME smokiness, but I don't want it to be all i can taste. Would you use all or less of the smoked malt?? I've never used it before, so not sure of its taste/usage

Thanks!!

Smoked malt can vary widely in intensity. At most, I'd start with 20-25% of fermentables from German rauch malt, and maybe half of that with something like a cherry smoked malt that's stronger. The smoke flavor will fade as the malt ages, so you might want to taste a few grains before deciding on a quantity.

I am doing a smoked porter - Loon Lake Smoked Porter - tomorrow that is about 50% smoked malt.

I smoked my own malt using some 2-row along with a bit of Belgian Pils (because I ran out of 2 row), for a bit over three hours using 80% cherry and 20% oak. The smoked malts smell wonderful and I am looking forward to this one. More smoke is better from my past experience, and the smoke does fade in the bottle as time goes on.

Back