Biscuit vs. "Bisquit"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
So I was at the LHBS the other day, and asked if they had any Biscuit malt. The guy pointed to a barrel, and it said "Belgian Bisquit, 22L" on the top. It was the only choice, so I bought it anyway.

Has anyone ever run into Belgian Bisquit, as distinct from regular ol' Biscuit, before? I get from this page (near the bottom, under "toasted malted barley") that it "adds a bready/bisquity flavor and richness," which sounds a lot like Biscuit to me (from Beersmith: "Adds a biscuit like flavor and aroma.")

So, what's the deal? Are they the same grain? If not, how are they different? The only reason I'm curious is that I already used it and my fermenter smells a little bit plum-y and I wonder if this could be the reason. Of course I've had weird smells from the primary before so I'll let it sit and see how it comes out before doing anything drastic.

I haven't used both to comare. I've only used the Dingmans Belgan Biscuit malt it has worked out great. You'll be fine using the Belgan.

i'm sure its fine. biscuit malt, belgian biscuit, and belgian bisquit cant be different. i think the belgian prefix is just cause biscuit malt is used so much in belgian beers.

Thanks ScottT and drengel.

ScottT, how's that Koelsch coming along? what kind of yeast are you using? Notice any fun smells from the primary?

PeatReek said:
Thanks ScottT and drengel.

ScottT, how's that Koelsch coming along? what kind of yeast are you using? Notice any fun smells from the primary?

Kolsch is doing well. Fermentation is just starting to slow down. I've been holding fermentation temps at 65 very steady but the recent cold snap droped my temps down to 60 last night so I moved somethings around today to get it back up around 65. It was still bubbling away at 60 degrees though.

I'm using White Labs WLP029 and it is producing some pungent sulfur smells. I'm also fermenting a weizen that's using the WLP300. Both produced some sulfur.

According to White Labs, the sulphur is supposed to age out.

ScottT said:
I'm using White Labs WLP029 and it is producing some pungent sulfur smells. I'm also fermenting a weizen that's using the WLP300. Both produced some sulfur.

According to White Labs, the sulphur is supposed to age out.

That's how mine seems to have come along... lots of sulphur for about 5 days during primary, but totally dissipated in secondary. I'm about to bottle it today.

Back