Carbonating with a #8 cork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They aren't listed for search, so you can only get them from here. Just scroll up the page or go to thread's beginning.

Corking and capping can't be cheaper than just capping, so why put the cork in? If it's for presentation, it doesn't seem much nicer to me than just capping, while the wire hoods do look a lot nicer.

It's not about presentation - it's just to make sure the cork stays in place. Without the cage the cork will fly high at 2.3-3.4 CO2 volume!

They aren't listed for search, so you can only get them from here. Just scroll up the page or go to thread's beginning.

Corking and capping can't be cheaper than just capping, so why put the cork in? If it's for presentation, it doesn't seem much nicer to me than just capping, while the wire hoods do look a lot nicer.

It's not about presentation - it's just to make sure the cork stays in place. Without the cage the cork will fly high at 2.3-3.4 CO2 volume!

I was talking about corking with a cap over it (not corking and caging)--the cap can hold the pressure, so why put a cork in it? The reason to go cork-and-cage instead of cap is presentation, but cap and cage seems to accomplish neither ease/cheapness (like a cap alone) or superb presentation (exposed cork with cage). Why do it?

So you think that 3.0 CO2 volume won't be an issue for bottle conditioning belgians at 80F in regular bottles ?

I thought there is a reason the belgians corked.

I might be wrong...

:smack: I'm not talking about bottles, I'm talking about closures. There are beer bottles that take caps and hold more pressure than standard 12oz or bombers. Most Champagne bottles can be capped. Some Belgian bottles take caps as well.

The reason normal bottles can't take the pressure isn't because the caps pop off, it's because the glass will shatter.

Back