Beer in glass bottles... but no glass allowed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenix424

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a dilemma here. I recently picked up the hobby and had a brilliant idea... Homebrew some beer for a family picnic. Only problem is, I completely forgot the venue we are going to doesn't allow glass on premises and I already have everything bottled. I could just give the bottles away as a sort of gift at the end of the picnic, but I put work into this and would love to have people enjoy the beer at the actual picnic. Any ideas on a way to get the beer to the picnic?

I feel your pain and have been in that situation many many times. This is what I do... I bring the beer in a cooler and bring some solo cups, typically they dont want you drinking from the bottles. So you are usually ok with keeping the bottles in the cooler and just pouring them out into solo cups. Keep the cooler closed and put the empties back in the cooler or a dedicated trash bag off to the side.

That's why some folks bottle part of their batch in onld soda bottles. In fact I know of one brewer who leaves the labels on them, and matches the brand to the color of the beer. That way if he's going to an event that lets you bring in your own soda, but not beer, and serves only bmc, he and his brewer buddies get to enjoy the beer they want and no one is the wiser.

Vernors bottles are great for blonde ales, stouts and porters in coke bottles, iced tea bottles are great because the often come in all manner of shades.

Revvy said:
That's why some folks bottle part of their batch in onld soda bottles. In fact I know of one brewer who leaves the labels on them, and matches the brand to the color of the beer. That way if he's going to an event that lets you bring in your own soda, but not beer, and serves only bmc, he and his brewer buddies get to enjoy the beer they want and no one is the wiser.

Vernors bottles are great for blonde ales, stouts and porters in coke bottles, iced tea bottles are great because the often come in all manner of shades.

+1 and in addition you can get new twist on soda caps for the full effect of keeping the break off ring intact.. :mug:

I went to a family reunion at a park once where no beer at all was allowed. I brought some anyway. My assh0le tea-totaling in-laws came over and asked me about them so I asked if they wanted one. "No" - they were just concerned because it was "against the rules". I laughed and said I try not to follow the rules whenever possible. I told them i was keeping them on the "down-low". They walked away miffed.

This is what I do... I bring the beer in a cooler and bring some solo cups, typically they dont want you drinking from the bottles.

This is my solution as well. Nobody should be drinking from the bottles in any case.

I feel your pain and have been in that situation many many times. This is what I do... I bring the beer in a cooler and bring some solo cups, typically they dont want you drinking from the bottles. So you are usually ok with keeping the bottles in the cooler and just pouring them out into solo cups. Keep the cooler closed and put the empties back in the cooler or a dedicated trash bag off to the side.

This. I have had glass in plenty of parks that do not allow it. They dont want hooligans walking around smashing bottles. If you discretely pour into a cup and keep the empties tucked away, you will be good to go.

... and as a seasoned homebrewing bottle-hoarder, you will already have trained your friends and family to return the bottles directly and immediately to your possession, so there's no fear of bottles wandering off in the first place. :cross:

... and as a seasoned homebrewing bottle-hoarder, you will already have trained your friends and family to return the bottles directly and immediately to your possession, so there's no fear of bottles wandering off in the first place. :cross:

Yeah, I've given away a few and have definitely been getting them back. People have enjoyed the beer I've made so far, so I just threaten to cut them off if I don't get bottles back. Seems to work pretty well!

Thanks for all the tips. I have them loaded in a cooler and have plenty of solo cups.

Back