gluten free McGee cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabs

Reaction score
The gluten free McGee I made is having trouble clearing. It was started one month ago and it still is a creamy tan color like bacon grease. The OG was 1.045 and is currently at 1.012. It was in the primary fermentation for two weeks and and carboy so far for two weeks. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any thoughts.

Rack it again? IDK, I've had lotsa beers start out cloudy like that, but all of 'em clear eventually, especially if I put them in secondary. Usually lots of trub if they're super cloudy. In any case, it's not uncommon for meadmakers to do 3 or more rackings, so if it takes more than two to get it clear, that's no big deal. Or you could just wait it out.

Same thing happened when I made a batch. I think it's caused by the rice. Mine tasted just fine and I'm not too particular about appearance, so I just ignored it.

FWIW, I don't think any amount of racking will make that haze go away. I had some in bottles for months that was still hazy.

Here is a pic of what the brew is looking like after reracking and putting in the fridge @ 36 degrees for the past week. It looks as if it is clarifying to a different clarity. I will probably bottle after the first layer of cloudyness has pretty much settled to the bottom.

IMG_4696.jpg

Back