Partigyle Old Ale / Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
19.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Age one year
Tasting Notes
Tastes very promising at one month after production.
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.5 %
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 3 4.2 %
1.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 65.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 m Yeast 5 -

This beer is a little too big for an old ale but I am very excited about it. It is meant to be an American old ale, and is very well suited to partigyle. If you change the volume of this recipe to 5.25 gallons, the first 1.75 of runnings will be this beer. The next 3.5 will make a very nice bitter. At one month after brewing, this beer tasted full and quite bitter. Absolutely no harsh alcohol, this beer tastes rich and not at all like how big it really is. I would be perfectly happy to drink it right now, but I am confident that after a year the caramel malt and high bitterness will diminish and blend to make a truly great beer. I also added Orval dregs to one gallon of this.

The next time I brew this, I am going to switch to all American malts by replacing the Maris Otter with Briess Pale Ale malt. The molasses instead of black treacle is another Americanization. I used Northern Brewer in the last recipe, but I'll be using Nugget next time because I plan on growing some next year.

Back