Heineken bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
Bottling my second batch this Saturday. I picked up some heinekin bottles practiced capping one with water inside. The water didn't leak but the capper doesn't grip it that well and feel that the seal is not good. Any suggestions, am I just being paranoid.

I don't know the issue. I've used a number of Heinekin bottles.. but I have a table top capper.. not a batwing or whatever they are called.. Only problem I have with them is removing the labels.

The issue with Heinken bottles is that they are green. This is problematic for two reasons: first is light. Light is one of beer's worst enemies, and the green glass will allow the beer to become light struck resulting in a skunky beer. Heinken was my favorite beer while I was stationed in Holland, but to buy it here is torture. It kind of resembles the beer I loved with a whole lot of light struck. Corona in the clear bottle is even worse. I'm convinced they ship corona with a light in it.

The second issue with green bottles is they are not accepted in competitions. BJCP and AHA specifies that all entries must be in a plain brown bottle with no marking on the bottle or cap. That means even the Sam Addams bottles with the etched signature on the bottle won't be accepted.

Bottling my second batch this Saturday. I picked up some heinekin bottles practiced capping one with water inside. The water didn't leak but the capper doesn't grip it that well and feel that the seal is not good. Any suggestions, am I just being paranoid.

Yes, you are just being paranoid. I regularly bottle in Heineken bottles as I like the shorter bottles for my stouts (short and stout seem to go together) as I am terrible about labeling. My wing style capper works fine on them although the grip sometimes slips past the lip at the end of capping and the capper has to be helped off. I've never had one fail to seal.

Good to know, the heinekin bottles I have seem to be the tall narrow type. I opened one up and re capped it as an experiment to see if it will keep the gas in. I'm not worried about the color or anything because they will be stored in a box in the dark, and I don't plan on entering a comp anytime soon. When you capped yours do you get a dent from the magnet in the center of your cap?

When you capped yours do you get a dent from the magnet in the center of your cap?

My capper started off making no dent but after several batches I started to get dents as well. No big deal though, just not as aesthetically pleasing.

Back