Substitute Grains for German 65 L Dark Crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadster

Reaction score
I'm preparing to do a recipe (clone) for Zywiec Porter. It calls for German 65L Dark Crystal (less than 25% of the specialty grains). Can't seem to find this particular grain - does anyone know of an acceptable substitute?

Weyermann caramunich 3 is german and rated at about 65L but if you mean there is nothing german available then i think most malsters medium crystal will be rated at
60-70L certainly that is the case for Bairds ,Simpsons and TF.

Thanks - so Weyermann caramunich 3 is considered a german dark crystal grain? (sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, just want to make sure I know what I'm doing)

FYI - I actually have Simpsons 50-60L Crystal - would that work?

Well caramunich 3 is darkish, not the darkest you can get but i think it is really the 65L that is more important than the word dark. Any crystal rated from 50L-80L will do the job so the Simpsons will definately work but my choice if available would be to use Weyermann for this and either caramunich 3 or the new carabohemian which is rated at about 80L.

Thanks - so Weyermann caramunich 3 is considered a german dark crystal grain? (sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, just want to make sure I know what I'm doing)

FYI - I actually have Simpsons 50-60L Crystal - would that work?

That should substitute just fine, I was going to suggest a British Dark Crystal.

Latest posts

Back