Time for another project HBT. Flying Dog Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Looks like now that the Pac Man is phasing out, the next big VSS strain is from the Flying Dog Brewery in Denver. www.flyingdogales.com

VSSflyingdog1206.jpg

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/VSS.htm

NEW Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
From a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire, England. Full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Bright beers easily achieved within days without filtration. For production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ale.
Alcohol tolerance approximately 9% ABV.
Flocculation: High.
Apparent Attenuation: 67-71% (64-72° F, 18-22° C)

Wyeast 2782 Staro Prague Lager
From deep in the back recesses of our archives, and originally sourced from a large brewery in Prague. Does not finish as dry as other Czech pils yeast strains. Medium to full body, moderate fruit, and distinct bready malt flavor dominating. Balance is slightly toward malt sweetness, and benefits from additional hop bitterness.
Flocculation: Medium.
Apparent attenuation: 70-74% (50-58° F, 10-14° C)

And to the top we go!!!!!

Ok, doesnt look like many people are too familiar with Flying Dog. Ill see if I can find a recipe and post the results of the brew

I'm really not a fan of their beers at all. They all have a house "funk" IMO. With the exception of the Gonzo Imperial Porter which I like quite a bit actually.

I saw the flyer at my LHBS a few weeks ago. Luckily they still have a limited supply of PacMan, which I didn't buy yet. If you can only try 1 Flying Dog brew....Dogtoberfest is by far one of their better ones.

Gentlemen,
I have back in my brewery,
a 22 oz bottle I bought in Gunison 10 years ago.
'Flying Dog' is the name but I believe it is a random occurance,
art work and verbage is totally dissimilar.
The one I have has a dog flying in the mountains with his toungue hanging out and his ears blowing in the wind. It is likely a product of the Debuke brewery in Debuke Iowa, where you can send them a lable design and they will put the label on the bottles of the same old xxxx they sell.
If anyone is interested about the label or artwork, I can be more specific.
A Sheriff deputy was over one time and saw that bottle as I was showing off my brewery.
He picked up the bottle and said to his partner:
"Oh! I'll have a flying dog!"
"Ha Ha Ha!!!"

I. Knife

Did anyone here brew with the Roeselare yeast when it was available? I didn't find out about it until it was gone. I went looking for it for my Flemish Style Red but was too late. I ended up subbing the Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend instead. I would have loved to get a hold of that yeast before it vanished.

JacktheKnife said:
Gentlemen,
I have back in my brewery,
a 22 oz bottle I bought in Gunison 10 years ago.
'Flying Dog' is the name but I believe it is a random occurance,
art work and verbage is totally dissimilar.
The one I have has a dog flying in the mountains with his toungue hanging out and his ears blowing in the wind. It is likely a product of the Debuke brewery in Debuke Iowa, where you can send them a lable design and they will put the label on the bottles of the same old xxxx they sell.
If anyone is interested about the label or artwork, I can be more specific.
A Sheriff deputy was over one time and saw that bottle as I was showing off my brewery.
He picked up the bottle and said to his partner:
"Oh! I'll have a flying dog!"
"Ha Ha Ha!!!"

I. Knife

Post a pick of it--the brewery logo was totally different ten years ago as they didn't really bottle much other than out of the brew pub in Aspen and the brewery in Denver. The old logo has kind of a big dopy dog rather than the new stuff which looks like sketch art from Pink Floyd The Wall...

The old logo has kind of a big dopy dog rather than the new stuff which looks like sketch art from Pink Floyd The Wall...

The brewery opened in 1990. Ralph Steadman (who also did the artwork for Pink Floyd's The Wall) began designing Flying Dog's logos in 1995.

Brewtopia said:
The brewery opened in 1990. Ralph Steadman (who also did the artwork for Pink Floyd's The Wall) began designing Flying Dog's logos in 1995.

well that explains alot

Latest posts

Back