Rolled oats and Cream of Buckwheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyk

Reaction score
Hello~

I'm taking shot at a modified GF Oberon clone from this forum, and having problems understanding the different processing types of GF ingredients, or problems finding them at all.

The best buckwheat I could find that I thought might work was GF "Cream of Buckwheat." To my knowlege, this is pretty much like millet form of buckwheat? there are no other ingredients whatsoever besides buckwheat. Can I just steep this like I would millet?

I think I have a good idea of rolled oats, being rolled means they have been at least partially geliatinized and are fair game for steeping, right? And I made sure to get GF. I previously bought steel cut oats... also GF, but these seem like I might need to mash them.

I am not against the idea of doing a small mash of these grains before adding to the extract/boil, I know I can pick up some amylase if needed. Thanks for any help, I've scoured as much of the forum as I can handle and I've kind of hit a wall on researching this beer. Thanks!!!

Hi,

could you post the recipe so we can have a look at what you are planning to do.

If you are using unmalted buckwheat and oats as your base grain you will need to mash them with enzymes to convert the starches to sugar.

If you are just using them for colour or flavour then you can steep them in your boil water.

Back