Raisins sinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emerald

Reaction score
I have a batch of white grape/peach with raisins only that has been going since 2-6-10 and the raisins are all sinking to the bottom of the wine- is that normal?
This is for the hubby, he wanted a lower alcohol wine so it is just the juice and raisins and yeast and a bit of the yeast nutrient. The airlock has positive pressure still but hardly any bubbling, should I check the SG?

yes the sinking raisins are normal. especially now that fermentation is slowing. there isn't as much CO2 being produced by the yeast to make them float.

never use your airlock as a fermentation indicator. use your hydrometer, so yes take a SG reading.

I just took a reading and a tasting ;) it tasted a tad tart, but nice peachy finish, the hubby should be happy with this! I hope to have it all bottled for him so that when the peaches come up ripe on our trees we can break it out and make peachy sangria!
Now on the reading, I am not entirely sure how to put it up there but the line was at 2lines above the 1.000 reading and 3 below the .990 reading so would that be stated as .0996?:confused:
I will probably rack it off the lees and raisins this weekend and top it with just a bit more of the juice and then airlock it for another month and then go from there. I know it will probably spark a bit of fermentation adding juice but I don't have any wine to top it and don't have any marbles at the moment either. I have patience!

Latest posts

Back