If you can't have a temp controlled wine cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
If I get into wine making I would have no choice but to store my wine in my basement which isn't temperature controlled. I live in the lower Mid-West and the temps down there are going to range from 60-85F. Now I wouldn't be storing several hundred bottles at a time, but does this rule me out as a wine maker? I would be really bummed if so:(.

How about just buying a cheap fridge or two and a couple Ranco controllers. You can use one for fermenting the wine and the other for storage.

I live in Houston, Texas and 9 months of the year the temp is above 80 degrees F-and much of that is in the 90's or even higher. Basements haven't been invented here. I have a very small window unit AC and a spare bedroom devoted to storing my wines and beers. I'm single and have the luxury of being the one in my household that make the room determinations-Ms. Mutt has no say in the matter-but I am sure with a bit of thought you can find a solution as well.

Welcome to the wine hobby!

Unfortunate I am worse than married. I live with my grandmother who is so tight her ass holds water. There is no way she'd let me spend money (even my money) on extra electric to run fridges. Before you say, "it's your damn money!), you don't know this woman; the least little thing could send her into ***** mode for three days to a week. The unfortunate thing is that i am the only thing standing between her and and sister going to a home, plus I am an adult full time student so I need the free rent. What would happen if I stored three or four batches worth at these temps?? Would they go bad in say a year after being aged to the point of drink-ability??

85 is about the max temperature for storing wine, I think you should be ok so long as no strong light in the basement. You wont be able to age the wine for 5 years, but you probably don't want to. Could you sneak a bit of insulation in while gran is away?

You should be OK. If anything find the coolest corner of the basement, and keep them in the dark.

Consider building an insulated box out of rigid foam, but no bottom. That would let you use the floor as a heatsink. Plus, the insulation will stabilize the temperatures.

Consider building an insulated box out of rigid foam, but no bottom. That would let you use the floor as a heatsink. Plus, the insulation will stabilize the temperatures.

And for those warmer than usual days you could add a plastic gallon bottle bottle or two of frozen water to keep everything cool. In an insulated box it would last all day long before it melted.

Excellent! I was going to build a wood framed stand to lay them on their sides in. I will just cover the sides in foam backing they use for paneling two sheets deep and build shutters, like the old storm shutters, to close the front. The back will be the foundation wall which is totally under ground. Temperatures will still rise and fall over time but it should be stabilized somewhat so I see no wild swings. I will leave a space at the bottom so I can slide blocks of ice in in the dead of summer. We have an ice factory down the street and there is a floor drain right in this area. It sounds like I am good to go!

Actually, you could avoid the mess with some plastic Coke bottles. Two in the wine box and two in the freezer will save a little expense for the ice, gas to go get it and the time. Just swap them out each day and you should be good to go.

Back