Spigot in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
I got ahead of myself the other day when I started getting this laid out for bottling. I realized that I had forgotten to buy a bucket to tap for a spigot (i'm attaching some tubing and the bottling wand to it), so I wound up just drilling one in the bucket I use for a primary.

Should I retire that one to be a bottling bucket only now? I'm worried that the spigot will increase my chances for an infection if I continue to use it as a primary.

I've been using buckets for primary going on 3.5 yrs now... I have spigots installed in most of them. (I keep forgetting to buy additional spigots for the rest). Since I keg, I attach Js Kegging Apparatus to the spigot, pull airlock and open valve. Beer flows into the keg and no siphon needed.

For a dip tube I use a shortened racking cane held in the spigot with a #1 bung. The end of the dip tube has the little black/orange thingy to help keep yeast from being sucked up....

I'm very happy with my system. I disassemble the valves at cleaning although I do have to admit I often pitch onto a yeast cake so that disassembly may not be at every cleaning...

In short, I feel your fine.

Some pics for you: http://ipb.trainerfamily.net/pagesmith/4

Ok this answers my question I was about to ask, I bought pre-drilled "bottling buckets" with spigots to use as my fermenter the assumption being "no need for a siphon this way" then I got to thinking "wonder if there's some super compelling reason not to do this".

Sounds like you do just that and have no issues then.

I've done it the same way for 8 years. In the summer though, make certain there are no fruit flies in the spigot. A (baby bottle) nipple brush is very good for getting them out. I just dip it in sanitizer and scrub away.

Back