Need Help with Grape-Rasperry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
Welch's Grape Raspberry Wine

8 11.5 ounces Welch’s Grape Raspberry Juice (frozen)
12 Cups Sugar
8 Teaspoons Acid Blend
4 Teaspoon Yeast Nutrient
4 Campden Tablets
4 Gallons Spring Water
1/4 Teaspoon Grape Tannin
2 Packs Cotes De Blanc & Narbonne Dry Yeast

I multiplied this recipe times 4: Making Homemade Wine and Beer: Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Does this recipe look alright?
How much sugar should I add to get it up to 13.5% Alcohol?

I weigh my ingredients, so I don't know how much 12 cups of sugar is. That might be fine. I use 1.25 pounds of sugar per gallon in most of my wines made from Welch's juice. You want to use a hydrometer, and get an original gravity of 1.085-1.100, preferably around 1.095.

That seems like too much grape tannin- I'd cut that in half, or not use it all, until you taste the wine after it's done and see if it needs it. Tannin provides "bite" to wine, but you may not need it in that recipe, especially not 1/4 tsp in four gallons. Same with the acid blend- 8 teaspoons seems like an awful lot. I'd use about 2 teaspoons, and add more later if the wine needs more acid.

You only need one package of yeast, no need to use two packages.

Thx for your response. How about the Campden Tablets? Too much?

I would like this to hit around 13.5% alcohol. How many pounds should I use for 4 gallons?

I would like this to hit around 13.5% alcohol. How many pounds should I use for 4 gallons?

Nurmey's right. You'll have to take the gravity of the juice first. You can guestimate it at 1.25 pounds per gallon, like I mentioned earlier. You want an OG of around 1.095 to get that ABV. By the way, 13.5% ABV will be "hot" for a year or two, so it'll take a while to age out. If you go lower, to 12% or so (OG of 1.080), you might have a better wine.

Back