First Brew Ever Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo68710

Reaction score
Hello to everyone this is my first post and first time trying to brew my own beer fingers crossed. Okay onto my question, I will be making a DIPA in a 2.5 gallon batch full wort boil with a late malt extract addition. My question is should I use pellet hops or whole hops? I will boil the wort, chill with hops in and then pour right into the fermenter. Would it be easier to use whole hops or is there some easy way to keep most hop sludge left from pellets out of the fermenter with a strainer of some kind. Any help would be appreciated and cheers!

P.S. I'm starting small crawl before you walk.

If your dumping them all into the fermenter they will all be in the yeast cake anyway. If you strain them out you will loose more wort to whole hops. For a IPA I'd just dump them in. More hop goodness can't hurt.

so you are saying use pellets cool the wort and ferment with hop sludge? Will that change the flavor fermenting with the hop sludge on the bottom?

The hop sludge should settle out with the flocc'ed yeast and shouldnt hurt your flavor at all if you were brewing a light lager or pils you might want to strain out the hop trub but for a DIPA the more hop flavor the better,Are you going to dry hop?this will also leave some trub,but that will contribute to the hop aroma.Dont worry relax have a homebrew,or craft beer until yours is done.Patience is key!

A little. For a light style it may not be as good of idea. I do it most of the time.

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter, whole or pellet, or dump or strain. Whole hops soak up more wort. Pellets are 10% more potent because they contain less stems.

The hop sludge should settle out with the flocc'ed yeast and shouldnt hurt your flavor at all if you were brewing a light lager or pils you might want to strain out the hop trub but for a DIPA the more hop flavor the better,Are you going to dry hop?this will also leave some trub,but that will contribute to the hop aroma.Dont worry relax have a homebrew,or craft beer until yours is done.Patience is key!

i gotta agree relax dont worry and(get ready to) have a home brew

I think I'm going to use pellets for the boil strain through a Muslin Bag to get most of the debris and dry hop with whole hops after fermentation does that sound good to most?

Agree with folks above...leaving them in the fermenter won't hurt. If you're really worried about it, many folks use paint strainer bags like you can pick up at Home Depot, you can also get strainer bags at your local homebrew supply store, but expect to pay a few $ more.

Cheers.

Back