GE Fridge Help, what do these wires do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I think I have figured out how to manipulate a digital GE Fridge, if I can figure out these wires.

This is the air damper. All voltage is 12V DC. I assume that 1 wire is the ground, just trying to determine what function the other 3 perform.

GE Damper.jpg

I think you're going to have to pop that thing open and see what's actually inside. I can think of a couple of scenarios where those wires would be power, ground, and a pair of reversible direction signals to control the flap motor...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I think you're going to have to pop that thing open and see what's actually inside. I can think of a couple of scenarios where those wires would be power, ground, and a pair of reversible direction signals to control the flap motor...

Cheers!

That's what I was afraid of. I got it cheap on CL, think I may try to work a deal with a used appliance place for a non digital model.

I am in the middle of the same fridge conversion. That is a servo motor. It will require a control board to work.

I am using 2 fans and dryer vent baffles to manage the cool side. This should allow me to bring the fridge down to match the frezzer temp.

When I get home i will upload some pictures.

I am in the middle of the same fridge conversion. That is a servo motor. It will require a control board to work.

I am using 2 fans and dryer vent baffles to manage the cool side. This should allow me to bring the fridge down to match the frezzer temp.

When I get home i will upload some pictures.

so you are just setting the entire thing (both sides) to run at a single temp? I am attempting to get freezer temps on the freezer side, and fermenting temps on the fridge side.

Nope to temp controllers and a 3rd party defrost timer. I am replacing the main board and using the existing wire harness. I will have serving temp on the freezer side and be able to control the fridge side from above room temp down to the set temp of the frezzer.

Nope to temp controllers and a 3rd party defrost timer. I am replacing the main board and using the existing wire harness. I will have serving temp on the freezer side and be able to control the fridge side from above room temp down to the set temp of the frezzer.

Hmm....you've caught my interest. Post what you have schemed up when you get a chance.

I was looking to create a 3 tap kegerator on the freezer side and a fermentation chamber capable of temps from room temp down to the severing temp of the freezer.
From reading here I saw a lot of trouble bring down the the Fridge side to the serving temp with a fan only in the damper space.
I keep my eyes on craigslist and got a GE side by side for free. It is a digital model.

To work with this model I ordered a defrost timer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130817264998?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This timer allows for adjustment of both the frequency and duration of the defrost cycle.

I has an 110V coil 10 amp relay on hand.

I also ordered 2 Mini Aquarium Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320938934030?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The fans and Dryer vents I got from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YUKWSW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FB65GK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am half way thru this project. I have removed the main baord and have tested the wire harness.

I'll post my progress if you like.

Here are some pictures of what I have got so far.

Blakeseven

2013-01-03 20.42.27.jpg

2013-01-03 20.43.05.jpg

2013-01-03 20.43.18.jpg

2013-01-03 20.43.51.jpg

2013-01-03 20.44.03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just worked on my mom's damper motor in an Amana fridge. I think there was a pair of wires to run the motor and another one or two to a switch that told the controller what position the damper was in. It had a geared down timing motor and a cam arrangement to push the damper open or continue to allow it to close with a spring return.

Maybe yours is something similar? Maybe some exploratory surgery is in order if you can't find any docs..... Good luck!

hmm.....do you happen to have a diagram of the connections? Also, how are you powering the controls? Everything on the control panel on my unit is 12V DC, as is most of of the fans, dampers, ect. Are you just doing away with the 12V side all together?

Back