Amber LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersdeep

Reaction score
I have a large quantity of Amber LME & I'm looking for suggestions.

Command me, O masses!

send it to me! I can always use more extract! (j/k). What about a really simple SMaSH with your amber extract for an OG of about 1.050, and the "c" hops of your choice for about 30-40 IBU? Technically it would not be a TRUE SMaSH, because amber extract likely has more than one malt type in it, but it would be uber-easy and probably pretty tasty.

Pale Ales, IPAs, Stouts, Porters, Browns, Reds, etc. Anything that has added speciality grains. Just remember amber malt has some crystal in it, so whatever recipe you follow, reduce the crystal malt a little. I can't give you a number, but you might try reducing the crystal by between 4 and 8 ozs for a 5 gallon batch.

I use amber LME as the base for my pumpkin ale.

Here's a simple Northern English Brown that I brew with Amber LME:

Fermentables
6lbs Amber LME
.25lbs British Chocolate malt

Hops
1oz Willamette (5.5 AAU) @ 60min
.5oz Willamette (5.5 AAU) @ 10min
.5oz Willamette (5.5 AAU) @ 1min

Yeast
US-05

I use amber LME as a base for my cream stout.

6lb Amber LME
8oz chocolate malt
8oz black malt
1lb lactose
1.5oz Northern Brewer 8% AA 60m

Edit: Forgot the yeast Safale S-04

I use amber LME as a base for my cream stout.

6lb Amber LME
8oz chocolate malt
8oz black malt
1lb lactose
1.5oz Northern Brewer 8% AA 60m

Edit: Forgot the yeast Safale S-04

1.5 oz of Northern Brewer hops? That's high IBUs for a sweet stout.

I like the recipe though!

1.5 oz of Northern Brewer hops? That's high IBUs for a sweet stout.

I like the recipe though!

I try to hit about 40IBU's, so I think you are right, that it is a little high. Last time I used 1oz @ 10% AA.

Edit: That(1.5oz@8%AA) may have been a partial boil now that I think about it.

Here's what I have in the house from previous batches at the moment. I am going to the store but I'm wondering if I can get away with most of this in one recipe.

I have 23# of amber lme
1oz of Bullion
1oz of Hallertau

1272 American II yeast

I don't mind adding stuff but I'd rather not waste what I've got.

Major goals:
1. Tastes good
2. Doesn't kill or paralyze the drinker
3. I don't really have a number three.

Haha. I just meant I have that much on hand. I'm giving to try the smash mentioned earlier in the thread but I wanted to clear out the hops and yeast I already have.

5lbs Amber LME
2lbs Amber malt
1lbs Medium Brit Crystal
.5lbs Brown Malt
2ozs Chocolate Malt

1oz Challenger 60 minutes
.5oz Fuggles 15 minutes
.5oz Fuggles. 5 minutes

Do this as a partial mash. I used WY1968 and fermented at 66F then let it sit in primary for two weeks. Racked to keg and let it sit on gas for 2 weeks. Pretty delicious. The recipe was given to me as a brown ale. I think it comes out closer to a brown porter in style. Either way, my wife and I love it. Good fall/winter sessionable beer.

Thanks for the suggestions. With 23# I can try all three.

Brewing this weekend.

Cool. I have 6 lbs of Briess Amber LME myself and would like to try it as a base. Looks like it has been done before.

Back